Chapter Two: A Blazing Flower

Days had passed, maybe even weeks, since the 'explosion', and still, they had no clue what the cause had been. Ryan had been taking special care to not let Nola sneak off to take a look.

Humankinds' evolution was proved a hoax over three hundred years back, stopping every newly improved product from being admitted.

However, this did not mean the people had no access to things such as telephones, the internet, computers or anything of the sort. Its machinery and technology, although having come to a halt, was still far along.

No, it was mainly the answers to the questions humans came across—that—that being left clueless was what really effected the economy.

For thousands of years, mankind has been engulfed by curiosity and greed, which has close to always given them some kind of an answer.

Yet now, since evolution is at a standing point, there is no way to move further to receive answers. Just like a game glitch, where no matter what you do, you cannot pass through onto the next level. They knew nothing of the world they'd been living in.

This arose millions and millions of questions in people, which strove to curiosity. One of these unanswered askings, was the existence of Daisy Rain.

Knowing about this history, Ryan knew very well that nothing could have made an explosion such as that. She couldn't possibly think of what it could have been, however; this didn't strive adventure in her, but only caution and concern. Pulling the card for staying low for a while, and then looking to the damage was the best she could come up with, which was a smart tactic in of itself.

Although, seemingly tough, Nola had been trying her hardest to manage out a plan to make her way to the cities, without Ryan's knowledge.

The days had grown shorter, due to winter's arrival. Daisy Rain was empty, dark and quiet. Which, yes, it was all of those things yearly, however, the sensation in which it echoed called for something much more threatening and sorrowful. Its song sang silently enough for only the most constructed of listeners to hear.

Nola was too eradicated in boredom to hear this cry, and instead, only listened to that of her own complaints.

"NOLA!" A woman's yell from down into the earlier discovered basement breaks her slump. They still hadn't figured out what the meaning, or even language, the letters on the wall displayed. Mysterious, but it gave them more space, which they desperately needed.

Just as she had jumped up from her seat, another head poked above the gap in the floor.

"There's no way those—scribbles—are anything but that." The girl exhales, in exhaustion, pushing her forehead against the floor boards.

"Really? There has to be something..." Nola stumbles, tapping her foot on the ground.

"Well, I can't figure it out, and I'm too tired anyway." Ryan snaps back, glaring at the girl sitting in front of her. Nola frowned grimly back.

"You realize our food supply is running short, right?"

"We're not going to town." Ryan answers, distinctly. Her voice was breathy and filled lower undertones. A sign she was dead serious. She knew about the food shortage, of course, but she could learn to hunt, as much as Nola would hate that.

Ryan pushed past her, wrapped her fingers around the railing of the top loft, and swung herself atop of it. The ladder, to the right of where she had hoisted herself, was broken into pieces.

A whoosh from her breath, blowing out the candle sitting on a shelf under the top floor window, rushed its way in between the stomping of Ryan's defiant boots. The house ushered to darkness.