53: the whisper in my heart (Part II)

Start from the beginning

"That's life. That's life." Phillip pursed his lips and shrugged.

"We're here for you, Phil," Léon said in a low voice.

For a moment, all Phillip did was to fiddle with the plastic tubes of a deactivated life-support machine. But when Léon outstretched a hand to place it on his arm, Phillip huffed and let out a laugh that, in every detail and pitch, brought old Phillip back to life.

"Well, you little fucks. You know what? To hell with this," Phillip said. "Cause it's clear that all he wants now is someone to clean his mess before everything goes south. Well. South-er." He scoffed, pushing away from the wall and opening a menacing smirk to an empty point in the room. "I can deal with that, Rio. Mentally. You'll see, you crap-eating piece of—" He stopped himself and groaned. Then, his eyes met Léon's. "Listen, I'm not gonna do what that fucker wants." Phillip stepped towards Satina. "So you better hand me that damned data drive, cause I'll fucking destroy it!" he shouted.

"Oh. Oh, no you'll not." Satina placed a protective hand over the device. "Stay back, Phillip. You don't want to see how strong I got!"

"Wait. Wait!" Léon tried.

The situation was escalating quickly and the unstable beating of his heart was already starting to blur his vision.

"I'll count to three, Satina!" Phillip slid his hands to his back and unsheathed his daggers with a metallic hiss. "One..."

Without a word, Satina furrowed her brows and raised her hands as a layer of cobalt blue energy covered her fingers.

"Two..."

"Stop, you two!" Rob growled. "That's not time to—"

"Three!" Phillip shouted.

But when he started towards Satina, Rafa was faster. She craned a heavy hand around the back of his neck and raised her plastered arm as best as she could, keeping him in place.

"You heard her, Pheels," Rafa said in a hard tone. "Stop."

"Stay out of it, Rafa," Phillip growled. He raised a hand and gripped her wrist, his upper lip curled up like a rabid dog.

"You need to curb that anger so you can think clearly, mate. For your friends..." Rafa tightened her hold. "Look what you're doing to him!"

Phillip paused. He looked around the room and bit hard on his lower lip. Whatever he saw when his eyes met Léon's, it was enough to make him lower his weapons.

"I won't let go, Phillip," Rafa said in a low voice. "But we need that data drive because Léon needs it."

They shared a charged look, long and drenched with meaning. The silence in the room was filled by muffled announcements in the hospital's speakers and chirping birds announcing a new day. Outside, a group of people rushed by, wheeling a hospital bed.

Finally, after a sigh, Phillip's shoulders sunk.

"Fine, Rafaela. Do it your way—but don't count on me, did you hear?" Phillip jerked his shoulder free. "I swear to Goddess I won't lift one fucking finger to help that piece of shit."

Just like that, it was easy to breathe again. Léon massages his temples and leaned against Rob, who received him in a side hug.

"I don't think we have an option here, mate," Rob said. Léon knew him enough to understand that, by the way his neck muscles strained, he was trying hard to keep himself in control. "We either find another way to solve the serum conundrum and save those trees, or Jackal will continue to push for experimenting on Léon. And I don't think I need to remind you that we're in a bloody cage. We can't fucking escape her!" From then on, his tone grew cold. "So I don't give a rat's ass about Rio's intentions or why he gave us that shite. All that matters to me is that I won't let my husband suffer in Jackal's and Toni's hands again." Rob's arm tensed around Léon's shoulders, bringing him closer. "In anyone's hands."