"Rodney?" Alicia called.

He shook his head, "Oh, what? Sorry."

"What do you think could've happened?" she asked.

"I'm not sure. I wish I knew," he answered.

"Harlem could be so scary sometimes..." she said.

Rodney remained silent.

***

When they got to Bear Mountain, they took the rest of the morning to hike around, following the trails and maps. It was easy not to think about what happened earlier because Rodney was with her. Like always, it felt good to be with him.

After hiking through their third trail, Alicia stopped to catch her breath. This one had a steep incline. Rodney stopped too and faced her; she eyed him because he wasn't out of breath at all.

"C'mon, I'll give you a piggy back ride—" Rodney said.

"No, no, I'm fine," Alicia said.

"Oho, look who's the prideful one now. You know we're like 20 minutes away from the car, right? I know you're hungry," Rodney said.

"Shut up," she said and he chuckled. "I said—"

She charged towards him and he sprinted off. Breathing through her lips, she chased after him with a smile on her face, the afternoon light on her skin. He slowed down so that she caught him and as soon as she did, she put him in a headlock and pulled him down to the ground.

"Hey! Let me go," he said.

"Or what?" she asked.

His eyebrows shot up at her audacity and she laughed out loud. Gently, he maneuvered out of her hold and held her down by the wrists.

"You know, I'd rather not wrestle with you when I touch you. There's other things I'd rather do," he said.

"You have no shame," she said.

He bit his lip to keep from smiling and helped her up. She noticed he was chewing something.

"What are you eating?" she asked.

He smiled, "Why? Want some?"

She nodded.

"Come here," he said.

She paused, confused, before going to stand in front of him. He leaned in and kissed her, exchanging what he had in his mouth into hers. He pulled away as she started to chew.

"Grapes?" she asked and he nodded, smiling.

He bended his knees and she climbed onto his back. He continued hiking through the woods with her holding onto him. 

When they got to the car, Rodney decided to set up a table for the food they packed. As he set up the table, Alicia returned to his car for the remainder of his belongings. His phone was ringing, but she didn't pay it any mind because it was an unsaved number. When the phone stopped ringing, a couple texts popped up on his screen. Because his phone wasn't locked, she was able to see the messages. Her eyes widened and she snatched the phone off of his seat.

"Why don't you give me a call back, baby? Honestly, I could do things many basic bitches can't do. I know you have others. Look at you. But it's alright, I know you'll want me with this picture I just sent you."

Horrified, Alicia covered her lips as she stared at the woman's picture. The girl was light skin, with dark long hair and a voluptuous body. She was in her bedroom, sitting on her bed in a hot-pink bikini that barely covered her breasts. Her stare for the camera was red hot. It oozed of allure and desire. Alicia felt as though she was about to throw up.