v. the 'w' stands for 'winner'

CHAPTER FIVE, the 'w' stands for 'winner'

━━━ RORY

✦ ✧ ✦ ✧

EVERYONE AT HOGWARTS talked of nothing but Sirius Black for the next few days after the incident on Halloween. Theories and speculations spread throughout the castle in every house and year on how the madman had gotten into the castle. They had begun to turn weird—Rory overheard a third year Hufflepuff talking animatedly to her friends at breakfast about how Black could transfigure himself into a flowering shrub, and that's how he was able to enter the castle.

Rory was also thinking about how Black could have gotten into the castle, but for the worst possible reasons; she wanted to know how he could get in so she could make sure he would never get in again.

What Rory had told Cedric the night of Halloween was just scratching the surface of how terrified she was of the escapee; she suspected she might feel a tad better if she hadn't been the one to discover the ripped up portrait and heard the wailing of the Fat Lady before she had found her adequate hiding spot. But a moment of sheer terror overtook her body in those moments, thinking that Sirius Black was actually inside Gryffindor's Common Room, and if they had entered, he would have done despicable things to them—don't take her for a fool, Rory's read the Daily Prophet enough times to know his crimes. Her and Angelina had held each other close until a horde of Gryffindors had rounded the corner, too terrified to move in case Sirius Black was nearby. Looking back, she knew it was irrational, but Rory was certain in those moments that if she had moved a muscle, he would have come out of the shadows to slit her throat.

Not that she would even admit it, but she was almost relieved to see Cedric when they had been escorted down to the Great Hall for the night. He was the only one who had treated her like normal, like she hadn't been the one to discover that a fugitive had tried to break into her common room; he treated her like she was Rory, his rival to bicker with and tease to his heart's content. And, for some reason, though she loathed him, Rory knew she was safe when he was around. It was just the sort of annoying chivalrous person he was (sometimes). That and the fact that every Hogwarts student was together in one room, sleeping together, made her feel a whole lot better. Rory, Felicity, and Angelina had cuddled close together the whole night, their arms around each other in order to keep themselves calm. Rory knew Cedric and Oliver were nearby, something about the latter "not wanting to leave the love of his life in harm's way." But Rory could feel Cedric's gaze on her more often than not, and she wasn't sure how she felt about it—even if it sent her heart racing.

By now, the Fat Lady's ripped canvas had been taken off the wall and replaced with the portrait of Sir Cadogan and his fat gray pony, which no one was very happy about. Sir Cadogan spent half his time challenging people to duels, and the rest thinking up ridiculously complicated passwords, which he changed at least twice a day. For Rory, who had an issue remembering the password of the month and had too much pride to write them down each time, this was more than a nuisance.