5 - "Our Trio's Down To Two", 1945

Start from the beginning

The next morning, Stark and I began investigating the Hydra cartridge.

"Emission signature is certainly... unusual," I state, "but, alpha and beta ray are neutral."

"I doubt Rogers picked up on that." Howard laughs, moving the cartridge around inside the machine.

"It seems harmless," he continues, "it's hard to see what all the fuss is about." He removes the glowing pellet from the cartridge and is sent flying across the room by an energy blast.

"Haha!" I laugh at him, as I dodged the entire blast.

"Shut up!" he shouts, "write that down."

I helped him up and tell him that he needs to sort his hair out. After doing so, he goes to find Steve. A minute or so later, three gunshots are fired through the lab, causing my head to turn straight towards Steve, Peggy and Howard.

"I had some ideas about the uniform." Steve says, handing Stark a piece of paper after Peggy leaves.

"Whatever you want, pal." He replies.

~~~~~~

"You ready boys?" Steve says, walking into the room of the Howling Commandos and a few others.

"Not at all." Dugan laughs.

"That's the spirit." Jones chuckles sarcastically.

"Please come home safe, you two." I say to Steve and James, standing in front of them.

"We will," James says, "don't worry."

"Yeah, we're going to be ok, Laurie." Steve comments.

"Alright Howlies, listen up, here's the plan," he turns to the group, "Hydra's sending out a train through one of the Alps. We're going to zip line from the mountain, onto the train, capture Zola, and get any information we can from the train. Got it?"

"Got it." James nods.

"Sounds good." Morita says.

~~~~~~

A few days later,  a cab drives me to a destroyed bar, the same on we were in a few days ago.

"Steve?" I ask cautiously, stepping into the bar.

"Erskine said the serum would prevent me from getting drunk," Steve answers, facing away from me, "did you know that?"

"Steve, what happened?" I sigh, sitting opposite him and taking the drink off of him.

"It was my fault."

"What was your fault?" I whisper, as he looks up at me, tears in his eyes.

"No..." I gasp, realising what happened. James was gone. For good.

"I'm sure it wasn't your fault, Steve." I say after a few moments of silence.

"I couldn't save him."

"Steve," I take a breath before continuing, "I know how much he means to you, to both of us. He wouldn't have done it if he wasn't trying to protect you, Steve, and you know this."

"I'm going after Schmidt."

"Steve-"

"I'm not going to stop until all of Hydra is dead or captured." He states, walking out of the bar and leaving me in the silence.

"Goddamnit, Buck," I sigh," you never could stop protecting him, could you?"

~~~~~~

"Schmidt belongs in a bug house." Phillips sighs.

"He's working with powers beyond our capabilities," Stark pipes up, "if he gets across the Atlantic-"

"He'd wipe out the entire eastern seaboard in an hour." I finish.

"Alright, how much time have we got?" I say.

"Under twenty-four hours." The Colonel answers.

"Where is he now?" Dernier asks.

"Here, in the Alps, five hundred feet below the surface." Colonel Phillips says, pointing to the map.

"Well, what are we supposed to do?" Morita questions, "it's not like we can just knock on the front door."

"Why not?" Steve says, "that's exactly what we're going to do." I sigh in frustration and storm out the room.

"Laurie, wait!" Steve shouts, running down the hall.

"Are you out of your mind?!"

"What do you mean?"

"We've just lost James, and you're just going to... hand yourself over to some psychopath?!"

"Have some faith, Laurie!"

"I had faith, Steve!" I yell, "then I lost it when we lost Barnes!"

"It'll be different this time."

"How will it be different, Steve? How?" I question demandingly, "I can't lose you too, Steve."

"You won't." He replies. I roll my eyes at him and leave, though this time I'm not followed.