Chapter 25.5 | New Years Party Aftermath (Renga!!)

You, Langa, and your mom were all gathered around the table for lunch when you looked up from your cup to see Langa's blank face. Like, the kind of face that you make when you realize you forgot a question on a test.

*Langa? You good in there? Mom said that you can't drink alcohol—*

*I kissed Reki.*

The table went quiet, your spoon literally frozen in front of your mouth as all eyes turned to Langa.

*...What.*

*I kissed Reki, I don't know how, it just turned New Years and suddenly his lips were on mine and now that I think about it, I do know how.*

Your jaw dropped in disbelief, Langa's face getting more and more red by the second.

*Wait, wait.* You leaned forward, your spoon of food resting, forgotten on your plate. *How did it go? Did he like it? Did you like it? DETAILS, LANGA!!*

*Okay, okay. So it went like this.*

• Flashback •

"Where'd my little sister go?" Langa questioned, his eyes scanning the crowd.

"Eh, I lost my family, too." Reki answered, almost nonchalantly. "She doesn't have some show or something?"

Langa shook his head. "She doesn't do shows on a holiday. Especially not New Years. Maybe she found her friends in the crowd. Nora and Kaya's families are coming, apparently. I guess it'll be just you and me."

Reki's face flushed at the seemingly innocent sentence, though it was hidden by the darkness of the night. "There's, uh, four minutes until it's officially New Years. Do you have any resolutions?"

"Not really. Y/N says that most people never end up fulfilling them, anyways."

Langa looked back at Reki, who's eyes were darting around the crowd, alert and... paranoid? "Reki, are you okay?" He took Reki's hand and gained his attention.

"O-Oh, I'm fine. It's just... there's a lot more people than I anticipated."

"Do you not like people?"

"No, no, I love people...! It's just that I'm worried I might lose my family in here or I might get hurt and no one will notice because of all the people."

"I'd notice."

Reki gave an awestruck stare to Langa, unintentionally squeezing his hand.

The loud countdown sounded through the square as the two stood there, frozen, staring into each other's eyes.

Then, cheers rang through their ears and fireworks launched in the air.

That's when someone bumped into Langa and pushed him forward. He grabbed Reki's shoulder so he wouldn't fall on him, their lips ending up centimetres away from each other.

Suddenly, Reki got to his tiptoes and their lips connected. Langa let out a muffled hum, his eyes widening for a moment before he loosened his grip on Reki's shoulders and shut his eyes.

After a few seconds, they moved away from each other, both faces going beet red. "H-Happy... New Years..."

"Happy New Years."

• Flashback End •

You stared at him in disbelief. *A few seconds? Like, just standing there, kissing?*

Langa quietly nodded.

Both you and your mom were stunned. Quiet little Canadian boy that likes poutine, snowboarding, and skateboard with his only dating experience being... well, nothing.

You and your mom shared a quick glance before you stood up and clapped. *YES, FINALLY!!* Your mom chuckled as you hugged Langa. *You got the guy, you got the guy, you got the guy!* It seemed like all this excitement was bottled up inside for years.

*I'm glad you found someone that makes you happy.* Langa's mom said.

*Finally! Two years ago, you met him, Langa. Two!*

• Reki's House •

"Mom, Reki's not coming out of his room!" One of Reki's little sisters called.

Reki's mom tilted her head and turned off the stove, making her way to her son's room and opening the door. "Reki? Are you not feeling well?"

He let out a muffled groan, his face buried in his pillow.

"Reki?" She walked up to him and patted his back, stumbling back a bit when he raised his head. His face seemed to match his hair perfectly, the shade of red seeming otherworldly with his eyes tired but at the same time full of energy.

"W-What happened?"

"...You know that friend of mine? Langa...?"

"Yes, I do. He's your best friend, right?" His door abruptly burst open and his little sisters flooded into his room. "Reki's crush, Reki's crush!" Chihiro recited with the other two following behind her like train cars.

"Sh-Shut up!" 

His mom stared for a moment before clamping her hand over her mouth. "Did you kiss him?"

"W-What?! How did you know?"

"Oh my goodness!" His little sisters stopped in their tracks to look up at him for a moment before skipping around their mom's legs again. "Big brother Langa, big brother Langa!"

"W-Wait!!"

Aight, this was kind of a fun chapter since my parents said, "Don't work on New Year's Eve" even though I quite enjoy this (~o ̄3 ̄)~ Anyways, I hope you guys had a great New Year's and be ready for more stories and chapters this 2022! Love you guys!