Chapter Sixty Two | Your Best Friend

You opened your eyes, although they took far too long to adjust.

"Oh. You're awake."

Your eyes widened at the familiar voice. Soft, almost a whisper, but almost breathless, the words coming out so smoothly.

"You took a while." She said, shuffling across the room, moving boxes around. "Given, I didn't hold back with that hit. Are you okay?"

You tried to say something but your voice caught in your throat.

"Y/N." She stepped towards you and knelt down, looking up at you from her position in the floor. "Come on. You know my favourite part about you is your eyes. Why don't you show me them?"

She waited awhile, then tilted her head, letting her black and platinum blonde hair fall from her shoulders. "Are you mad at me?"

You felt a hand in your knee.

"It's not like I tied your head down. You can move it."

You tried lifting your hand only to find it tied to the armrest of the chair you were seated in. "I'm tired." You replied. It was an odd reply, with no real truth behind it. Dizzy would've been a better word.

"Tired? But you weren't awake for hours." She sighed and stood up. "Miya has been looking for you."

As if it were a trigger, a toggle for you to return to life, your head shot up and you met her eyes. June's eyes. You nearly forgot who you were talking to, and when you saw her, it came rushing back into your head again.

"There are those eyes." She whispered, smiling as if she had created them.

"You..." You curled your fingers into a fist. "What happened to Miya? I know you wouldn't leave him alone."

She sighed. "Honestly, you see me after all this time and you can't even greet me? You're asking about the guy you met long after me? I thought I was your best friend?"

"June."

"Hm. I'll take it."

"What are you doing here?"

She tilted her head again, wide-eyed curiosity taking over her features, although you knew that it was sarcasm. Her hum of confusion said it all.

You gave her a glare and she buckled: or rather, she didn't want you to.

"Fine, fine. It's not hard to learn your location, Y/N." She still said your name as if it were her most prized possession, enunciating each letter, saying it perfectly as if she took a class for it. "Your voice is loved by millions. Maybe even billions. I don't blame them."

She lifted your chin. "A beautiful voice, a gorgeous face, a skilled dancer, kind... perfect."

You pulled away. "I asked what you were doing here. Not what you think of me. I already know that part."

Her brow twitched. "What do you know?"

"You already hate me. You're pissed at me for causing Jake's death."

As she leaned on the table in the corner of the room, her hand supporting her, June chuckled. "Oh my... You really know how to write a story, even outside of songs."

Her eyes flickered to the string of photos hung up behind you and they went solemn for a moment before a wall was built again. Nails tapped along the table filled the silent air before she spoke.

"Jake was killed, but not by you. That day, I couldn't look at you after you explained what happened. How you proclaimed your love for him right in front of me, saying that you didn't mean to. You'd think that you were the one driving the car that rammed into him!" She finally didn't chuckle, and rather laughed, combing a hand through her hair and gripping her locks. "Dammit. Even when my brother died, I was questioning why you didn't love me."