"Lily doesn't."

Kath said with the most sarcastic tone.

"She is your sister in law, don't you know how much lucky your brother is to have her? Even us are lucky."

Mary made her way to Keith and put the cup on the table in front of him. "You don't know how does this world work," she added.

His mom was a kind woman but she sometimes gets on their nerves really easily. Keith hated how much she thinks little of her family comparing it to the Princess all the time, Kath hated how her mother treats her like she is an ignorant, and even Matt gets mad easily by her words even though he learned how to maintain his calm.

Their conversation was pointless, he didn't want to get himself involved and pick a side. He simply took a sip of the tea and picked his bag from the floor standing up to leave.

"Wait, I didn't finish my breakfast yet," said Kath while chewing on the toast.

"I'm going to wait for you at Layle's".

"No you won't!" Kath shouted, "he is not going to start going with us to school everyday."

Keith always tolerated Kath, but there were always these moments when he felt like he can smash Kath's head into the nearest thing he lays his eyes on, this moment was no different from them.

Throwing his bag on the ground again he sat beside Kath and took the toast from her hand.

"Okay," he said and took a bite, "but only if you won't bother us on our way home from school!"

"I'm not a bother!".

"You definitely are."

Mary said what Keith was thinking.

"That's not fair, Keith!"

"That's the only thing I can offer," Keith told her while typing a message for Layle informing him about the new situation.

The whole situation happened in front of Mary, and she was only wishing for them to leave so she can relax a little. And when they left she took her pack of cigarettes out of the sink and a beer can out of the fridge, smoking a cigarette and drinking beer first in the morning is what makes her less stressed, that was her morning routine before she could go on with her business.

Keith was still mad at kath so he walked as slowly as he could on their way to school, smoked four cigarettes and didn't reply to anything she asks, even though most of it was her yelling at him for what he was doing.

At school for the first period, Layle didn't show up, Keith checked his phone countless times and sent another message, that would be the tenth till now.

He faced the closed window in his class and watched the students from above, maybe Layle was just slacking and not angry at him cause of Kath.

"You feeling lonely already?"

Joey stood behind him making Keith snap out his thoughts.

"He didn't show up, didn't pick up his phone, neither answered my messages. He's home alone today, maybe he decided not to come since there's no one to scold him."

"Aren't you neighbors? Why not just knock on his door?" Joey questioned.

Keith didn't answer and kept staring through the window. Joey was a smart beta who sometimes Keith thought that he can read minds, if he was to say any lie about why he didn't come with Layle, Joey would just see through it.

Joey opened the window next to Keith and the cold wind blowed in his face, soon after the whole class yelled at him to close it, the whole room freezed, it wasn't winter yet but sure thing it will come sooner than it should be.

Keith shivered, maybe he should start wearing his winter uniform or change his thought about Joey being smart, these little stupid things he does from time to time, make people doubt that Joey has a bright mind.

Keith looked at Joey who was shivering as well, his whole expression was stupid, with his fresh new buzz cut and the big glasses he started wearing this year, he looked even more stupid. But all in all when people look closely into his face, they can see how beautiful he is, with his dark blue eyes, arched nose and his thin lips that make a line when he smile, he was only two inches shorter than Keith, he was kind of Keith's type, if it wasn't for the way he dressed badly, even a simple school uniform he manages to make it look bad on him.

All the students in his class wondered how come a lazy and slacking student like Joey manages to get admitted into Eastwood high, some say that he studies in secret and pass the exams while whining about failing and looking clueless in class. Other say he cheats.

Still Keith believed that Joey is one of the smartest people he knew, even as a plain beta who went to a beta middle school and lived the most ordinary lifestyle, he can still fit really easily into anything, like the way he did in his first year of high school, when he was the only beta along side with Keith put in a class filled with alphas, that what made Keith believe that he was strong and smart.

"Can you read minds?" Keith asked.

"I can make accurate judgments based on personalities."

"What do you think of Layle?" It wasn't the first time Keith asked that question but he always wondered what Layle thinks of most of the time.

"He is a good person," same short answer Joey always gives.

Joey was the type to keep his thoughts to himself, rarely ever sharing what he thinks seriously, Keith knew that and praised him for it, at least he shares with Keith more than everyone, that's why he somehow knows about his friends more than he could be knowing alone.

Except for he doesn't always believe in what Joey says. One time he told Keith he thinks Layle is in love with him, that's something Keith brushed off, Joey makes mistakes too. Layle being in love with Keith is something Keith wouldn't want to happen.

"Maybe it's his rut?" Joey said suddenly, that was something he wiredly knows, remembering everyone's ruts' dates.

"His ruts comes at irregular times, it hasn't come in months, so likely not."

Joey raised his eyebrows on the stupid answer Keith gave, "Well, since it comes irregularly..."

"Well if that's the case then he's a poor thing, no one is there at home to nurse him, even my mom's job there only for making him food or cleaning."

"Well, you're always there for him," Joey said while smiling sinisterly, "but only nurse him, don't try to relief him in a way friends won't do."

"One other word and I'm gonna throw you out of the fucking window."