1 |All I Have Left ♠️

Friday, September 8th, 1997

I loved walking the city of Washington, DC; it was like another New York but cleaner. But Georgetown is my favorite part.

The beige one is mine. Which I am inside of, sitting in front of my webcam. It was the start of my senior year at Georgetown University.

"Janet! Get up now!" My godmother yells up the stairs for the 3rd time in 10 mins.

"Ok!" I yelled back

Putting music into my speakers always helped get my day started, and I went to my bathroom and did my morning routine.

"Good morning, Amber," I say with a smile.

"Good morning, Goddaughter."

"Oh wow, you go from yelling at me to getting up in my room and playing nice." I sat with nothing other than sarcasm.

My parents were killed by gunshot wounds when I was 12, and my godparents received custody of me. I loved it there.

"Well, I am up now so you can get out so I can do what I got up for," I say from the other side of my room.

"Ok, I came up here to tell you I am on the way out to work and have good days boots," she says on the way to the door. Alright, I love you, bye," I shout from the bathroom.

I returned to my room to pick out my outfit for the day. I moisturize my skin and put my perfume on. It was 6 am, and my class started at 8 am. I rushed and put my clothes on before scanning my body in the mirror. I wore a black vest and light-washed straight jeans with black boot heels.

I put on my mini sweater and ran through the house to the kitchen to grab my water bottle and bag. My car started to ring from outside, and I rushed to turn it off.

"Good Morning, Janet," my next-door neighbor says with excitement.

"Good morning, Mr. Walls. How are you today?" I responded.

"I am great. Have a good first day of school, honey."

"Thank you, and if you need me to walk, Aliza, I can do it tonight."

"That would be great. You have always been great, but I'll let you get to class."

"You have a good day, Mr. Walls."

I turned on my car, and Outside by Mariah Carey blasted through my speakers.

The traffic was a bitch.

I stopped at the Starbucks down the street from my house.

I grabbed my backpack phone and got out of my car. It's a limited parking space, so I had to park at the end of the street. I walked unhurriedly, cherishing my city with the sunrise staring right at me. I opened the door and smelled coffee instantly.

I waited until someone appeared at the counter. The dark black girl with a thick afro and glowing skin came into my view.

"Hello, welcome to Starbucks; how may I help you today?"

"Hello, can I get -" she cuts me off and says, "An Iced Caramel Macchiato with a pecan apple Cinnamon bun, Ms. Janet," with a glimmer in her eye.

"Yes, thank you," I whispered with a wink and left the counter so the next person could order. I listened to Asia call in my order from the kitchen.

I sat down and opened my phone to call Avery and Angel.

These are my two best friends. We have been together since middle school.

Angela was the first one I met and bonded with instantly on the first day of school. She was the rational one out of the group most of the time.

Avery was the second person I met and the first boy I thought was cute until I learned he swung. He was our most adventurous, and his major was graphic design.

And lastly, there is me, Janet. I was a college girl who wanted to get into photography and journalism, and my major was journalism, with a minor in photography.

Ok, those were all the introductions for now.

"Janet, here is your order," she says.

"Thanks."

I look at the time.

7:08 am

I turned my playlist to "Little Red Corvette by Prince" and got on the road.

♠️