CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

___

Eldest soon returned to her child-like appearance as soon as the skies started getting dark. It was still early in the afternoon, but the weather says that it might rage a storm.

Even the stalls are in a hurry to close, except for stores with buildings. The other people roaming around is probably on their way to go home or seek shelter.

"It's been a nice day today." I commented, sighing in relief as I managed to relieve my stress. "I know I already said this, but thank you anyway."

"Anytime." Eldest replied shortly as she snapped her fingers, teleporting us back to my garden. She gave me the book that she's been holding into and so I accepted it. "Read that and don't be suspicious. Whitey might even use that against you."

I nodded my head, suddenly remembering all my problems in the simple mention of whitey, which is my brother Klydeur. "Got it."

My clothes returned to how it was earlier and so did hers, before she waved a hand to leave. "I'll get going then."

Waving back, I walked back towards the palace and searched for Jamie. She must have been worried, and I'm not even sure if Eldest told them beforehand!

Walking through the hallway, it suddenly felt a little strange. My ears perked up when I heard fireworks, however, it was briefly cut short as if it never occured. Also, why is it gloomy? I'm aware the weather seems bad and the skies are dark, but why does it make me feel anxious?

It's as if I stepped foot in a different place, the area feels chilly, giving me goosebumps all of a sudden.

There weren't a single knight stationed at their respective places, and not a single sight of maids are seen in the hallway either. Should I search for Eldest to ask? But we already parted ways, and I'm not sure if she's still here.

Clenching the book tightly, I decided to ignore the anxiety I'm feeling. I admit, I'm nervous. I wonder what's wrong today, is there an occassion?

My footsteps were light, yet they somehow echoed around the hallway

"Should I go to my room?" I contemplated with myself, deciding it is best not to yell out for attention. Something eerie is giving me a warning that I shouldn't be casually prancing around this place.

Then I recalled something important.

Right, I still have my guardian, don't I?

Taking deep breaths, I chanted the unfamiliar words I memorized as a way to summon my guardian. The Empress herself was the one who taught us how, fortunately I remembered. It took me a few moments before I felt my energy drained.