Is this a trick question?

"Um, I'm pretty sure it's just creepy for you guys. I mean, if I were you, I'd go home looking around for stalkers, then make sure to triple lock all my doors and board up my windows. If someone knocked on my door, I'd ask for a password and only let them in if they did the chicken dance in front of my security camera. I'd also ask them to empty their pockets and not let them in if they have anything that could be used as a weapon. Some things that qualify as a weapon to me are melders, paper clips, files, since you know, you could get really nasty paper cuts. Knives, blue plastic hair brushes, and crochet hooks." Keefe said, which was actually mostly the truth.

"All right, all right, I get it. Is there a book you need help finding?" She asked, when Keefe gave her his library card his father had given him but he had never actually planned on using in his whole life. His fingers brushed hers and he realized that though she was mostly annoyed, she was partly intrigued. Wow, Keefe was not expecting that. Did she know he was joking about the security thing?

She seemed pretty oblivious to the world.

"Yes please, ma'am. I'd like a book about brain pushes?"

She smirked at him. "Thinking about trying to do one? Can I be there when you try?"

"No ma'am, but if you ever decide you're old enough to try, tell me how it goes. I'm researching brain pushes for a school project. Also, do you have any books about humans?"

"I'll find some for you myself, since you're such a polite young man." Elf. Man. elf man thing. Lol jk

"Thank you, ma'am." Keefe followed her to a nearby bookshelf.

***************

By the time the librarian was done, Keefe couldn't see anything over the books she had stacked in his arms.

Hoping he didn't trip over anything, he went over to a table and started reading. Kind of. He just looked over the page, searching for what he needed.

Brain pushes are another form of telekinesis. It uses mental energy instead of mental energy, while telekinesis uses core energy and mental control. It is a less draining way of moving things, but only Ancients have the kind of mental strength to do one. It takes years of training to store energy in your mind like that.

Keefe skipped a couple pages

Mental energy and core energy don't mix. If a person is ever in a situation where one person uses telekinesis and another person uses a brain push, they should expect the energy to rebound.

Well, now Keefe knew it was definitely a brain push. What he didn't know was how. And who did it. Fitz was a master telepath. His father was the one and only Alden Vacker, who was also one of the world's greatest telepaths. Both their mental strengths were very strong. But none of them were ancients.

Keefe didn't think Alden could do a brain push, much less Fitz. I mean, Fitz was 15. If he needed 15 years of training, he would have been training since he was born, and that wasn't possible, but you never knew with the Vackers.

But Sophie.. Sophie was 12. She wasn't even alive for 15 years. How would she have done it? She doesn't even have an ability. She literally grew up with humans and had no idea elves were real. How would she have done it?

He went up to Lady Lindra. "Excuse me, Lady Lindra.."

She looked up. "Oh. It's you again. What do you need?"

"You seem to know stuff about brain pushes and mental and core energy." He paused. "If you had two evenly matched people, with the same mental strength, and they had.. let's say a.. splotching match, would it rebound?"

"Of course not! Core energy mixes, and mental energy mixes together. But if one person used core energy, and one person used mental energy, then it would rebound."

"Okay, thank you ma'am. That really helps. Thank you."

He walked back to his table and put his head in his hands. THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE! That means one person did do a brain push. But who? And how?

But he hadn't even started on the human books.

He groaned. Everyone shushed him. "Sorry!" He said, remembering where he was.

"Shhhh!" Everyone said again.

"Oh, sorry.." Keefe covered his mouth. Everyone glared. He zipped his fingers across his mouth signifying that he wasn't going to talk.

Keefe stood up to put the brain push books back, and walked past the sections of birds, so boobries, moonlarks, wait... something caught his eye.

Any other person walking by would have missed it, but Keefe wasn't just any other person.

A dark patch on the wooden shelf curled in the shape of a.. moonlark. Normally, Keefe would think that was his imagination. But this was the perfect shape as a moonlark, down to every feather.

And there were more of them. A trail of them, leading to.. a corner?

Not seeing the purpose of following them any longer, Keefe went to his table.

But something about those moonlarks seemed really important. Keefe just didn't know what it was.

***************

After researching about humans for a while and not finding anything useful, Keefe gave up.

Instead of researching, or going home, which he didn't feel like doing, he stayed at the library and wandered over to the fantasy section.

Oh, what wonders he will find there, am I right? Maybe even a book about this girl who can read minds and finds out she's an elf. Maybe. Just maybe. Ugh. In the book's description page thing, it says this story is less than 5 minutes, even though it's clearly not.

Right?

~Zara