"I feel bad for Steve," I say, "I mean- he's got the serum, and he thought he was going to war. But instead, he's either a lab rat or a dancing monkey. He's got no choice."

"At least he's safe." Peggy comments.

As the rain started to pour down, Peggy and I headed over to find Steve, who hadn't long abandoned his show.

"Hey, Steve." I say as we walk over to him.

"Really, Laurie?" he looks up, "the fedora?"

"What do you have against fedoras?"

"I understand you're 'America's New Hope?'" Peggy says.

"At least he's got me out doing something," he says, "Phillips would've kept me in the lab."

"I told you he was either a lab rat or a dancing monkey." I whisper to Peggy.

"Johann Schmidt sent some of his troops out to Azzano," Peggy says, "two hundred of our men went up against him, only fifty returned. The rest were killed or captured."

"Your audience contained what was left of the 107th Infantry-"

"The 107th?!" Steve and I shout in unison. The two of us ran to Colonel Phillip's tent before Peggy had a chance to form any kind of response.

"Here!" I shout, going over to the casualty list and flicking through it.

"Come on, James." I whisper, panicking more and more.

"Laurie," Steve says, pointing to where it said 'Sergeant James Buchanan Barnes' on the page, a high level of disappointment in his voice, "look."

"Oh shit." I gasp softly, my mind completely clearing.

"Come on!" Steve shouts, running out of the tent.

"Where are you going?"

"Follow me!"

We run into the equipment tent and Steve grabs a helmet with the letter 'A' on it.

"Where are we going?" I shout at him.

"You are staying here, and I am going to find Bucky."

"Steve wait-"

"If Bucky really is gone, I can't lose you too, Laurie." He says before leaving the tent and jumping in the jeep with Peggy.

"Rogers!" I shout at him, but I don't get there in time for him to hear me.

~~~~~~

"Where the hell have you been?!" I shout at Howard, storming into his tent.

"In all fairness, it was Steve and Pegg's idea."

"You could have died!"

"Well, clearly... I didn't!"

"Where's Peggy?"

"She's with the Colonel."

"And Steve?" Howard falls silent as I say this, a look of disappointment showing on his face.

"Howard," I continue, "where is Steve?"

"Goddamnit Stark, tell me!" I shout.

"He's uh-"

"He's what?!"

"We don't know if he's alive or not." Stark whispers. I stumble back slightly and sit on a case that was behind me.

"I should've gone." I whisper, hanging my head in my hands.

"Marty, no." Howard says, sitting in front of me.

"We lost Bucky, and now I've lost Steve."

"There is a chance they're alive."

"You don't know that!" I yell, a startled look spreading across Howard's face.

"I'm sorry," I say, "I have to go."

"Marty!"

"Don't!" I shout, walking out the tent.

~~~~~~

I made my peace with the events by sitting on the performance stage with an empty audience, my legs dangling over the front of it.

"Excuse me," a man says from behind, "are you Agent Lawrence Emerson?"

I look around to see a man in army uniform limping over with a crutch.

"Yes, Sir," I say, getting up and walking over to him, "and you are?"

"Agent Daniel Sousa, with the S.S.R."

"Oh, Peggy was telling me about you." I smile.

"So, Lawrence," Sousa begins, "you're with the S.S.R. now?"

"Yes, I am, Sir," I say, shaking his hand, "and just 'Laurie' is fine."

"Right." He nods.

"Um, are you ok?" I ask, noticing his crutch.

"Oh, yeah, I'm fine," he chuckles, "just a little scratch."

"The heck is happening?" Daniel says as a bunch of Soldiers and Medics from the camp run towards the entrance.

"Holy cow." I whisper in amazement, as Steve, Bucky and many other troops walk back into camp.

"I'm so sorry," I say to Sousa, "I'll be back in a bit." With that, I jumped off the stage and ran towards my friends.

"Bucky!" I shout as I'm running towards him and hugging him

"And he waits until I almost died to call me 'Bucky', what a surprise." He laughs.

"Thank God you're alive." I pant.

"Hey," Steve says, "so am I."

"Oh, thank God." I sigh with relief, hugging Steve.