The market thief

Romania

With the army due to arrive the whole city was abuzz with preparations, presenting merchants to sell off their goods at unreasonable prices since the marketplace was going to be packed, however it also comes at as a burden to those who were both homeless and penniless. They could easily be distinguished from the rest of the populace due to their ragged clothing and although they were all from different age groups ranging from 3 to 19 they all had one thing in common, a cloud of despair and helpless except one boy.

"Hey, stop right there". one of the city guards shouted before chasing after a scrawny dark haired boy.

"I would but I have an important meeting with the senatalia" Connor said with a grin spreading across his grease covered face.

The city market was crowded and bustling with activity, small rooms on the lower floors of houses where craftsmen sold their wares. Rows of makeshift tents containing many kinds of shops, shops that sold food ,spices , wools, books etc. Pungent smell wafted from the forum boarium right next to the main market where cow meat and cow hide was sold and cured.

As Conor stumbled with a bag of half crushed bread in his hand he looked back and saw that 3 more guards already joined his pursuer.

"Buck, catch" he whistled before throwing his package into a pack of hungry looking children.

Turning around with a disarming smile to the group of angry looking guards.

"Hello guys," he said with a chuckle  " hank, long time no see,  Mark lov'in the stache, Belios owes you 5 silver drachmas from the bet".

"Connor my man , you gave us quite a chase this time and you lasted 2 whole weeks." The burly figure at the head of the group said as he approached.

The size difference between the two was so huge it was absurd. While Connor was of scrawny but agile build , the Belios was a statue in every aspect except his tongue which made up for his scary look.

"And this time not only did you destroy stall, you also ruined my new boot, what will i do with you" he said as he raised the hilt of his sword connecting it with the skull of the boy .

As the light faded before connor's eyes the last thing he heard was the horn signaling the arrival of the soldiers and the gaurd Belios saying "Take him to the holding cells in the barracks,  it's time he becomes useful to the city"

《• hello guys , its been a while , we have been busy and things have been moving slow lately. We would love your sincere opinions on this chapter.》●■♤♡♢