forty seven

"give it here malfoy." harry says, quietly.

the entire class stops talking amongst themselves to watch. malfoy's lips turn up devilishly and he throws the remembrall before catching it.

"no, i think i'll leave somewhere for longbottom to find. how about- up a tree?"

harry steps forward, visibly angry. he yells, "hand it over!"

but draco simply throws a leg over his broom and takes to the sky and you aren't at all surprised to find that he sure can fly, well and effortlessly.

"come and get it, potter!"

hermione grabs on to harry's sleeve.

"no! you heard what madam hooch said, besides, you don't even know how to fly!"

harry shrugs her off, glancing at you for a second before hopping onto his broom to follow draco. his takeoff is wobbly, but its clear harry is a talented flier. he needs no practice, he's already doing great.

"what. an. idiot."

you grin, watching the boys in the sky. noticing the sweat forming on draco's brow as harry threateningly makes a dive for him, using the front of his broom as a lance.

malfoy steadies himself and the two boys exchange threats, their voices laced with small amounts of concealed dread. a fall from this height would be detrimental- but you need not intervene, harry could manage.

sure enough, when draco finally shrugs and exclaims, "have it your way then!"

the remembrall goes soaring into the air, and then begins falling to the ground. glinting in the sunlight, the glass ball is in danger of shattering to pieces and harry makes a dive for it to save it.

a blurred mess of black and red, harry swoops to the ground extending a hand before halting a metre away from grass with the remembrall tightly within his grasp.

"he's done it." you breathe and the class erupts into applause. the gryffindors- that is.

"that was wicked." you hear ron cheer. you glance over at serena and frown, she seems upset. isn't she happy that harry's accomplished something so great?

then you heard her.

"HARRY POTTER!"

goodness, minerva could be loud when she felt she needed to. harry's face turns beetroot red.

"never- in my entire time at hogwarts-" she pants, storming over.

minerva was speechless with shock, her glasses flashing with a mixture of anger and pure stress.

"could have broken your neck- how very dare you-"

parvati speaks up. "it wasn't his fault professor-"

"malfoy-" ron starts but minnie quiets them both.

"POTTER! WITH ME."

and harry is escorted away. you can't help but grin slightly. the boy is absolutely mortified that he might be expelled or punished- but you know, that what he recieves is far greater an outcome.

an honour, first years like yourself could only dream of.

madam hooch returned, with a much happier looking neville.

no broken wrist. healed flying sickness.
bravo y/n.

"where's potter?" she asks.

"probably off getting expelled, professor." malfoy responds.

"ah- well, you just get that grin off of your face malfoy. we've flying to do."

the rest of the day went by pretty smoothly, but at lunch you wanted to go over and talk to the gryffindors.

when serena had let go of your hand to go and talk to daphne, you put up your hood and walked over to gryffindor table.

"hey," you say and harry and ron look up.

"hi y/n."

"what's with the hood?" asks harry.

"i-" you bite your lip, looking back at the slytherins cautiously before sitting down at the gryffindor table. "they don't exactly like that i talk to people outside slytherin house."

"oh," ron frowns. "sounds controlling."

"it is, isn't it?" you laugh lightly. "but oh well, every house has its quirks."

"pretty sure your house is evil." ron says, very straightforwardly but harry nudges him with his elbow.

you smile. "do i look evil to you?"

the boys shake their head and verbally disagree.

"there you go." you clap. "anyways, i wanted to ask, harry, what happened with min- mcgonagall?"

"oh, uh she told me off at first of course." harry starts slowly, looking at you as if deciding whether or not to say it. you already knew, obviously, but you want to hear it from him.

"she uh- well, i'm not supposed to tell anyone."

"i bet ron knows." you roll your eyes.

ron puffs up his chest with pride. "i do."

"harry!" you whine and he laughs, giving in.

ah, trust.

"okay! okay! she made me gryffindor seeker."

"what! but first years never get to be on the teams!" you gasp, a hand going to your lips.

"i know, that's what i said." ron grins. "harry is the youngest seeker in a century!"

"ron, shush." harry urges, glancing around nervously. "anyways, i still need to be trained and since professor mcgonagall's sort of bent the rules for me- i'm supposed to keep it a secret for now."

"my lips are sealed, potter." you pretend to zip your lips up and throw away the key. your hood falls off and a few gryffindors glance at you.

and then a few hufflepuffs and then all of the ravenclaws.

suddenly, the hall is quiet and you are standing in everyone's eye line.

snape's daughter.

at the gryffindor table.

you look up at the slytherin table and sure enough everyone: blaise, daphne, pansy, draco, gemma, gregory, vincent, francis, and marcus are staring at you. serena puts her head in her hands.

the least you could do is not get caught. you hear her voice in your head. so resentful- so embarassed.

"i-" you start.

you look down at harry and change your face from worried to seething with disgust- decorating your features with a huaghtiness you cannot believe leaves your tongue.

"surprised to see you here, potter!" you snarl. "after your display of dismal flying technique, i was hoping you'd been expelled."

harry's cheeks redden and he looks down as snickering can be heard from the table in green.

"merlin, what a loser!" you pull away from the table and walk back to your own.

francis pulls you in and pats your back. "good one, y/n. that got him."

you catch harry's eyes and you can tell he knows your sorry. that you didn't mean it.

but that doesn't stop the sinking feeling in your stomach as the slytherins surround you with grins and menacing smiles.

you look up to the teachers table and you see that most of the teachers shrug the encounter off as just another red vs green rivalry but your father looks to you with seriousness.

do you want to talk? you hear him ask through legillimancy.

i want to cry.