thirty one

you stare down at your lap as the cheering of the gryffindors rings through your ears. harry has just been sorted into the house and you were sat at the slytherin table- unaware of how any of this happened.

"hey," came a low voice.

you look up and see blaise leaning his head down and across the table to whisper to you. "you okay? you don't look well."

"i'm fine." you say, smiling weakly. you glance up at severus and see him staring back at you.

what was that? you think.

don't stress about it now. he reassures you. i'll talk to you about this later.

you frown at him

how can i not? i'm supposed to be on that table. the one harry's sat at.

eat, y/n. severus commands, do as i say.

you break eye contact with severus and look down at your golden plate and goblet, bare from food.

gemma puts a hand on your back and smiles. "you look nervous, y/n. don't worry, that's nothing some food won't fix."

you nod before deciding to follow everyone else and plate your own food, getting some roast potatoes, peas and sausages before starting to eat.

you felt sick.

how was everything going wrong already?

"so y/n," came a snobbish voice.

you turn to see a girl with a pug like face and short black hair looking at you.

"snape's your dad? how is it that i've never heard of you?"

"i-" you stutter, thinking quickly. "we've just been living rather privately-"

"who's your mother?" she interrupts.

your eyes widen. you hadn't thought about this.

"not a pure blood i'm sure-" she taunts, swallowing a mouth full of mash and grinning at you.

"we don't talk about mother-" you say. "it upsets my father. i doubt he'd be impressed if i told him you were bringing her up."

that shuts her up.

pansy knows that severus is head of slytherin house. she'd be stupid to get on his bad side. some slytherins could be really unpleasant but none of them were stupid.

"oh lay off it, parkinson." gemma scoffs. "eat your food and leave y/n alone."

you watch pansy's cheeks turn pink and feel bad. "no, it's fine- she was just curious."

pansy looks up at you for a second before looking back down, something like gratefulness flickering in her eyes.

you turn to blaise who seems to be staring at you much unlike draco who sits at the table paying far more attention to the food than to the people sitting around him.

"how was summer?" you ask him and he seems relieved that you asked.

"oh, it was great. i stayed over at draco's for a while and then we went to a wizarding golf resort in kent."

he laughed emptily. "though, i didn't see mother very much during the holidays, i spent most of it with my uncle."

"oh," you ask, deciding to finally take a bite of your food. "where was she- your mother?"

"she was on a uh- business trip." blaise answers quietly. "i never ask many questions."

"yeah, you don't have to do you, blaise?" draco snarls in a playful way and blaise elbows him.