Chapter One: Percy

Nico had warned Percy that he'd have nightmares; of course, being a demigod, he already did, but after Tartarus, they'd be even worse. Percy could feel the pain he'd felt back then when he slept, and woke up bleeding, crying, screaming, or all three.
Tonight was one of the nights where all three attacked him at once. It was becoming less and less surprising as the occurrences continued.
The dream was horrifyingly vivid. He was in Tartarus again, and he was screaming in rage and terror as Annabeth fell to the ground next to him;so close, he could have jumped in front of the sword, he could have killed the monster who did it. But he didn't, and her shrieks of pain were his doing.
"Percy," she whispered hoarsely as he picked her up, holding her around the waist with one arm and holding up her neck with the other. Blood poured from her stomach. "Let me go. You can't let your guard down."
"No," Percy panted, picking her up like a child. She was limp, and they'd gone so long without eating she'd lost enough weight for him to hold her with one arm. With the other, Percy threw Riptide around, and the monsters just laughed.
"Percy, go," Annabeth gasped. "I'll only slow you down. I can hold the button, I'll die anyway-"
"No, you won't!" Percy shouted.
"Percy, please," Annabeth pleaded, and they met eyes for a moment. Hers were beautiful, like storm clouds. There was no fear in them; she wasn't afraid to die. There was only pain.
But then they closed. Annabeth's hand, which had been squeezing Percy's, fell limp, but Percy didn't let go; he never would.
Even now, shaking and arching his back in pain and misery, Percy could feel the way her feverish hand became colder and colder until it fell out of his grasp. He gripped it tight, holding onto the feeling of her fingers until they left him, and the sobs came.