Chapter 1

"He's incapable!"

"He's too young to understand politics and to rule!"

"We might as well surrender the throne to Akpai Kabir his uncle!

The court was in total chaos. The third Ejeh of the Ankpa sultanate was brutally killed on the battlefield. The kingdom was fragile now and enemies were at bay sharpening their claws as to when they can shred the kingdom into pieces like a hungry lion.

In such a weak moment the council was arguing on wether to make the young 15 years old prince Bashir the Ejeh or not.

"But he's not capable of ruling the whole kingdom. The secretary said in calm tone.

"We have no other choice, he has to be made the Ejeh. Maybe that is the will of Allah. And if it is, so shall it be. Their leader said in calm tone.

The council nodded and decided that Prince Bashir will be the 4th Ejeh of Ankpa Sultanate.

***

After the turban ceremony, I sat on the throne in the court room surrounded by court officials and chiefs seated according to their hierarchy.

"Congratulations your highness, it is such a great honor to be of your service. Agaguuuu" Chief Hassan knelt and said.

I waved him and nodded. The rest of the chiefs did the same followed by some humbled personalities and few subjects.

I retired to my chambers after performing sallah isah as my uncle Apai Kabir's presence was announced by a guard.

"Asalamalaykum"

"Wallaykumsalam" I returned his greetings. He took few steps towards the study I was seated

"Your father would be proud of the man you're going to grow into. He calmly said with hint of sadness in his eyes. I nodded slightly.

"But there is something you need to know and do. He said.

"What is it uncle? I asked closing the scroll presented from the Galadima I was going through.

"There is a brotherhood clan our family belong to, including your father. He said with all seriousness. I became confused.

"The brotherhood are there to protect and guide the activities of the society especially the royals and nobles, they are like "check and balance" but in a secret way. Before you can become one of the brothers, an initiation ceremony is required. He concluded.

"Initiation? How is it done? Is it important I join this brotherhood clan? I asked again not wanting to cohere.

"Don't you want to avenge the death of your father? Don't you want king Babis destroyed and beg for your mercy!?? Don't you?. He held my shoulders shaking me as if he was waking me up from a slumber.