2 - The Expo, 1943

Start from the beginning

"Excuse me, Mr. Stark, Sir." I say, walking over to him.

"Please, call me Howard," he answers, fixing one of the parts on the car, "what can I do for you?"

"I thought of some ways you could keep the car in the air for longer." I say, Stark dropping the wrench and standing to face me, a little confused.

"Do enlighten me." He smiles. I go on to explain what I meant, before Howard interrupts me.

"Hold on, with these ideas, you could help with my projects."

"Wait... really?" I stutter.

"Yeah, why not!" he says excitedly, "I'm working on one right now."

"What's that?"

"Some 'Super Soldier' serum that Doctor Erskine worked on," he says in quotation marks, "he, well Colonel Phillips, wants me to build a machine we can use to create the first Super Soldier."

"Sounds... interesting." I laugh.

"You should swing by the lab tomorrow, around ten," he says, taking a small piece of paper out of his pocket, "here's my card."

"Thank you, Sir," I take it from him, "I'll see you then."

"I didn't catch your name."

"Oh. Lawrence Marty Emerson, Sir," I smile, "most people call me 'Laurie' though."

"Then I'll call you 'Marty.'" He laughs.

"I've got to go and find my friends; I'll see you tomorrow, Sir."

"See you soon, Marty."

~~~~~~

"James!" I shout as I see him and the girls walking through the expo.

"Laurie! There you are!" he sighs with relief, "where did you go?"

"Getting myself a job, apparently," I reply, "where's Steve."

"Said he'd try his luck at enlisting again."

"Where are you off to now?"

"I'm taking the girls dancing," he smirks, "care to join?"

"I'll come, but I won't dance." I laugh, the four of us heading towards the bar.

"Oh, come on, Laurie!" he sighs "it's my last night."

"I know," I smile, "but I'm still not dancing."

"Fine."

"What was the job anyway?" He asks.

"Mr. Howard Stark offered me a trial at his lab after I recommended how he could improve the car from the show."

"Oh, you nerd!" he jokes, "congratulations though."

"Thank you."

~~~~~~

James and I met a few of our friends at the local speakeasy and sat down for a drink.

"So, where's little Steve then?" Eddie asks.

"Hey, watch what you say." James replies, slightly too protectively.

"James, calm down," I laugh, "he's not able to come tonight."

"That's a shame, it would've been fun." Eddie says.

"What are you up to these days then, Laurie?" Harry questions, sipping his drink.

"Well... I got a job offer from Howard Stark to help with some mechanics and technology for the war." I smirk.

"Hey, well done, mate." Harry congratulates, patting my shoulder.

"I'll be back," James says, getting up, "you coming boys?"

A collective 'yeah, sure' came from our friends around the table who all got up to dance with their dates, leaving me by myself. That was until a woman with brown wavy hair, and a white shirt that was paired with a red skirt sat opposite me.

"Can I help you?" I ask her.

"I'm here on behalf of Howard Stark and the S.S.R." She replies.

"The S.S.R.?" I question, "I'm sorry, who are you?"

"I'm Agent Peggy Carter," she informs with a strong British accent, "and the S.S.R. is the Strategic Scientific Reserve."

"Why do you need to talk to me?" I ask again.

"Howard Stark offered you a position at his lab," she continues, "he spoke to us and we thought you would be better with us at the S.S.R."

"If you say so." I answer. She hands me a piece of paper to write down my address, so she can meet me at the apartment and take me to their lab tomorrow.

"Mr. Stark will be there anyway." Peggy reassures before taking the paper back and leaving.