Chapter 4: Smith Capital

I can't remember the last time I went to Baker twice in one week. I worry I'm getting sucked back into my old life, but that's not what's happening—I'm simply trying to do my job by helping the ludds. And if it manages to fix things between me and Leo, even better.

After our conversation last night, Leo told me to meet him in Baker today. I don't like going to Baker in the evening, but the sooner we figure out what's happening to the ludds—if anything is happening at all—the sooner I can work on a different project.

The bus passes the cemetery and takes me four more stops before I get off. This is the farthest I've gone into Baker since I moved away. My family's old apartment is just a few blocks away, and I have to consciously stop those memories from spilling out. Some are good, but most aren't. Growing up isn't easy for most kids in Baker, and I wasn't an exception.

I follow the directions Leo gave me and end up at an apartment complex that's somehow even more rundown than where we used to live. The building is one solid slab of gray concrete, small windows evenly spaced across the six floors.

Voices float from around the corner, and I can tell one of them is Leo's. He lets out a barking laugh, which surprises me. I haven't heard Leo laugh in years. It's strange that there's an entire part of him I don't know, a part he keeps hidden from me for whatever reason.

I turn the corner, making sure to crunch the gravel loudly under my feet so that the group is aware of my presence. I don't want Leo thinking I'm spying on him. He already thinks I'm too invasive.

Leo turns in my direction, and for a moment I see a carefree smile on his face, his eyes bright. He looks happy, like he did before Dad died. But the look fades when he sees me. He's suddenly serious and somber. I hate that he doesn't smile like that around me anymore.

To his side stands a tall and skinny man with obsidian black skin. The man nods at me, and I nod back. He has glasses and long, black locs that are piled on top of his head.

"Evening," he says with a smile, his voice low but friendly.

"Hi," I say back, unsure if I should introduce myself. I'm sure Leo's already told him all about me.

"This is Evers," Leo says, "he's going to help us tonight. He's also been looking into the missing ludds, and he's got a possible lead."

"There's a guy in the neighborhood," Ever begins, as if he's known me forever. "His name's Lum. Me and some guys were at a bar last night and heard him bragging about making some easy money. He was pretty wasted, but it sounded like he might know something."

"What did he say?" I ask. I don't know Evers, so I'm uncertain I can trust him. But if Leo thinks he's reliable, then it's worth a shot. Besides, I don't have any other leads. Evers glances at Leo, who nods almost imperceptibly, then looks back at me.

"He said he just had to give some guys information about a few ludds around town. Ludds who 'wouldn't be missed' were the words he used."

"What do you think?" I ask Leo. I want to get his opinion before chasing shadows with someone I've never met before. Leo shrugs before answering.

"I know Lum," he says. "He exaggerates when he's drunk, but I think it could be something." Evers nods in agreement.

"Okay," I say, my mind made up, "let's go visit him." Evers smiles, like he's pleased he was able to help.

"This way," he says, headed toward the street. "He lives just around the corner." Leo and I fall in behind Evers. 'Just around the corner' ends up being a few blocks away. We pass plenty of people on our way, and Leo and Evers greet each of them with a smile and a wave. Everyone in the neighborhood seems to know one another, and not just casually. They ask about each other's families, about how they're doing. I recognize some of the people walking by, but most are strangers. A few give me second glances, but most see me and start whispering to whoever they're with. I moved out of Baker nearly a decade ago, but I don't remember it being this close-knit. Maybe that's because I was too busy taking care of Leo or worrying about Dad, though. Who has time for friends when you're barely keeping your head above water?