Chapter 11

𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟭𝟭 - 𝗗𝗼𝗰𝘁𝗼𝗿 𝗖𝗼𝗻𝗻𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗪𝗮𝗿𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀: 𝗦𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀 𝗼𝗳 𝗯𝗹𝗼𝗼𝗱 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘃𝗼𝗺𝗶𝘁 𝘁𝗼𝘄𝗮𝗿𝗱𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗲𝗻𝗱!

𝗪𝗮𝗿𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀: 𝗦𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀 𝗼𝗳 𝗯𝗹𝗼𝗼𝗱 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘃𝗼𝗺𝗶𝘁 𝘁𝗼𝘄𝗮𝗿𝗱𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗲𝗻𝗱!

"Do you wanna come with me?" Peter asked as he looked Lyra right in the eye, stopping her in the middle of the hallway. Students walked past them and into their classes.

"I- um, yeah sure." Lyra nodded, eyes widening at the sudden plead. "Got nothing else better to do."

Peter chuckles slightly, moving his hand to grasp onto hers, fingers intertwined. He gently tugged on her arm and started walking the opposite way, towards the exit, slightly dragging her behind him. Lyra shook her head in amusement, already preparing for the scolding she'll get off her mother for skipping school.

And that brings them to where they are now. Peter and Lyra were stood side by side, gazing upon the Oscorp building. Lyra didn't know why Peter had the sudden urge to bring her here but just decided to go along with it, seeing as Peter normally knew best.

They both enter an office, located higher up in the building. Peter's mouth grew dry as he examined the area, seeing as it was empty. The office was covered in test experiments and papers. Lyra let her eyes travel on one particular piece, it was messily written, scribbled words guttered down on a piece of paper. Her eyes connected with a red symbol that looked like-

"It's not nice to snoop, you know." Said a voice, entering the room. Both Peters and Lyra head snapped up at the sudden commotion, Lyra's face flushing bright red as the man stared at her in curiosity. "I gave everyone the week off."

"Right, okay," Peter replied, using his and Lyra's connected hands to pull her closer to his side.

The odd man walked over to his desk and placed a folder of files right on top of the papers Lyra had previously been breaking down. He looked up, staring right into Lyra's eyes before moving back to the spot he had been standing.

"Shouldn't you both be at school?" He asked them, fiddling with his thumbs behind his back.

"We, um, we have a free track and I wanted to ask you a question," Peter answers the man, hands moving to slide his glasses up his nose more, considering they were falling slightly. "How would a predator track a reptile?"

"They have to have some sort of vulnerabilities, don't they?" Lyra adds on to Peter, playing along with whatever he is going at. Truth was, she was completely confused why he was asking these questions but just went along with it.

"Oh they don't, most reptiles are at the top of their respective food chains. Kings of their domain." The man explained.

"But -as Lyra said- they have to have some sort of vulnerabilities." Peter pushes, moving to stand closer to the man, pulling Lyra with him.

"Why the sudden interest in the cold-blooded?" The man asked Peter, occasionally gazing at Lyra.

"Just a question, I um, I got biology profiles to do. School stuff." Peter slightly stutters, sending a look at Lyra for help.

"He was just curious, and I didn't know the answers so he thought to come to you," Lyra explains calming as Peter sent her a gratefully yet relieved look.

"So, just by theory, because of the cold blood, would they react with too sudden temperature changes?" Peter asks, squeezing Lyra's hand in his own, a sudden wash of calmness flowed him as she squeezed back.

"You would have to catch one first." The man exclaimed. "There's a rumour to be a new species in New York, did you know? Quite beautifully in my opinion."

"Quite large too," Lyra whispered, yet her comment went unnoticed.

"What do you know about this new species? Have you seen it?" Peter asked, straightening up more.

"No, it's not classified yet." The man says, oddly suspiciously. "But it can be aggressive if threatened."

The scientist/doctor straightened up more as he glanced down at his arm, this gave both Peter and Lyra a clear look at his neck. Lyra's eyes grew wide as examined the mark on his neck, her hand subconsciously squeezing Peters. Peter's eyes trail onto her before rubbing his thumb over the back of her hand, before removing it to wrap his whole arm around her waist.

Lyra lightly blushed, leaning in closer to the boy as they both watched the man walk over to his desk and sling his bag over his arm and take the files back from his desk.

"You alright, Doc?" Peter questions him.

"Never been better, Peter. Never been better." He said turning up to look at the two teenagers. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm afraid I'll have to ask you both to leave. I need to complete this new project I've been working and I need to be alone." The doc says, opening the exit door while he gestures for them to walk out. "Good. Good. Good. Don't worry though, Mr Parker, I'll be back. Wonderful things are coming our way. Wonderful things."

They both watch as the doctor walked through the door they previously exited, leaving them with a small wave. Lyra let her eyes wander around the lab, letting her eyes catch something over on the desk.

She started walking over towards it, now hearing odd squeaking noises and her eyes bulged at the sight. "Um, Peter."

"Mhm?" Peter's head snapped up from his gaze on a table, he readjusted his glasses before walking over towards her, sensing her feared eyes. His own glanced at the thing she was staring at just before. It was a huge rat, eating something on the ground. By the looks of it, it seemed to have been ripped out of the cage. Blood surrounded the rat, spurting slightly from the meal it was eating. Lyra suddenly felt nausea and turned away before she could throw up.

"Fred..?" Peter whispers in a quiet voice, Lyra looked at the boy with lightly watered eyes, from the sight. Suddenly, his eyes snapped back at the glass doors in alarm.

Lyra looked at the boy in wonder, letting him drag her with him, away from the labs as he muttered a small "C'mon".

☘︎︎☘︎︎☘︎︎

An:
Omg guyssss, 10k! I think I'm going crazy.
Anyway wishing you all a Merry Christmas, I don't think I'll up be uploading tomorrow so that's why I'm saying it now. Enjoy your Christmas Eve as well though!

Ps. If you don't celebrate Christmas, I'm wishing you a happy holiday!

- BlueLouMoonlight