Chapter 17

𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟭𝟳: 𝗚𝗿𝗮𝗱𝘂𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻(Finally found suitable gifs smh)

(Finally found suitable gifs smh)

Lyra sat next to Gwen, both of them dressed in their graduation robes and caps. Everyone from their year was patiently sitting in their seats and were waiting for the ceremony to start. Lyra glances around the students again, trying to catch sight of Peter Parker, to whom, hadn't arrived yet. Gwen tapped her on the shoulder and gestured to her phone making Lyra nod and pull it out. She dialled his number and waited for him to pick it up.

"Hey, sorry I'm running late," Peter almost shouts, as if trying to hide the background noise. Lyra just scoffed as she knew why her boyfriend was late. "Just got held up in some traffic."

"Your timing is terrible, it's started already," Lyra asks him, trying not to freak out. Yet who could blame her? She was about to go on stage and make a huge speech.

"I know, I'm sorry," Peter replies.

"Where are you." Lyra sighed into the phone, with a distressed expression.

"The corner of First Broadway, second Broadway, third Broadway," Peter answers quickly, jumping to the side. Loud noises and car horns could be heard from his end, despite him trying to cover them up. Lyra inaudibly groaned as she shifted in her seat. "I'll be ugh, five minutes. 10 minutes tops."

"Are those sirens I hear?" Lyra says as she concludes the noises. "I swear, Peter."

"Um, nope." He answers a bit too fast. "Not sirens, no, no, no, no, no. It's just uh- the radio, yes the radio!"

"Peter," Lyra says sternly into the phone after a deep breath.

Gwen nudges Lyra in the arm and lifted her arms, silently asking where Peter is. Lyra just shrugs with a stressed expression on her face. She lifted her hands to tug at the end of her curls, throwing her head back with a soft groan before turning her attention back to the phone as she heard Peter's voice.

"No sirens, Lyra!" Peter responds as he shakes his head.

"What is happening? Peter. Listen, you need to get here right now!" She tried to convince him. "Peter!"

"I'll be right there, okay?" Peter says after a short pause. "I promise."

"And now I would like to introduce a young woman that has done her very best at Midtown high, and I know I can speak for everyone here when I say, she is one of the brightest and looked up to students we've seen in a long time." The principal of the school announces into the microphone, making Lyra take a shaky breath as she tried to prepare herself.

"Please hurry." She quickly responds before hanging up and slipping her phone through her pocket.

"This year's valedictorian, please welcome everybody...Lyra Smith!" The principal smiles as she announces the girl. Students and parents around applaud her, all smiling widely at the thought of the young girl. She could see her mum cheering her on from the back with a proud smile on her face. Gwen slightly pushes the girl out of her seat to stand up, smiling widely as Lyra gives her a slightly panicked look. Gwen chuckles slightly at the girl, before watching her make her way up on the stage. Lyra shook the principal's hand along with the rest of the teachers on stage before making her way to the podium, adjusting her hat slightly.