He smiled.

Br'aad fought against the anxiety he felt, watching the beam get closer and closer, knowing that he seemed to have shoved Vel out of the way just in time. At this single thought, he could only smile more. The idea that he finally saved someone. He didn't mess up his chance... 

A searing pain went through him, forcing him to fall onto his knees, holding his stomach tightly and he then started to grip at his chest, the pain seeming to spread. Gods, is this what Velrisa felt? 

Shouts were heard. Sylnan rushed to Br'aad's side, supporting him as he started to lose his strength to keep balance. Before Sylnan or Br'aad could say anything, a low and hoarse scream came from the beholder, Br'aad watching as he saw it fall to the ground, unmoving. He wanted nothing more than to go over and keep hitting it, scared it wasn't truly dead. But he supposed he wasn't in the best of conditions. He knew how this would work. He watched it happen. He would have a few seconds, maybe a minute, if that, before... 

"B-Br'aad...! No, no no, no, please... A-ALDER!" Sylnan's shaky voice broke Br'aad out of his hazy thoughts, his vision switching from doubled to completely unfocused. Br'aad felt another presence, a more strong and grounded one as he saw Alder slowly crouch next to him. Br'aad only gave a small grin, shaking his head. Speaking was too painful, and his voice probably sounded dreadful, so instead, he focused as much as he could to speak to Alder's mind. 

I-It's okay. I-'ve seen this happen before, pretty sure y'cant do anything... I-I'm just glad Vel's okay. M-Make sure to look after my brother, okay? 

With this, only Ander knowing what Br'aad had said, the party now surrounding Sylnan and Ander watched as Br'aad's hands turned to dust, the party only able to watch as Br'aad was eventually just... gone. No traces were left behind, not his cape, his vest, his book. Nothing. All that was left were the ashes that scattered across the gravel path, as well as on Sylnan's clothes, as he stared blankly at where his brother used to be.

"B-Br'aad...?" His voice was small and shaky, tears falling onto his knees as he stayed, knelt and slightly hunched over. 

Before she spoke, Velrisa wiped at her eyes, her voice shaky as she spoke, "S-Sylnan... Sylnan I'm s-so so sorry, I had no idea-"

Interrupting Velrisa's words, a scream was heard. Nobody needed to look to know it was Sylnan, who had now completely curled into himself, his form shaking and being wracked with sobs as he gripped harshly at the gravel mixed with ash. Soon enough, his shouting stopped, his voice now broken and hoarse as he stayed where he was, sobbing. 

Ander attempted to place his hand onto Sylnan's shoulder, the half-elf seeming to shoot up as he met eyes with Ander, sending a dangerous glare his way. Ander took the hint, removing his hand without any other attempts... He could only imagine losing someone that way. 

"Th-There has to be a way to get him b-back... r-right? Please, Ander, there... there has to be something." Taxi's voice broke the now heavy silence between the group, Ander slowly rising to his feet and sighed softly. 

"I... I wouldn't need something from him. Anything... But... That is not the case. I am so sorry for your loss. All of you..." As he finished what he had said, Ander cast a small glance down towards Sylnan, who simply held his glare, slowly rising to his feet as well. 

"Bull. Shit... You could've helped him. There was time to save him..! Instead, you fucking sat there and stared at him!" Sylnan let out a sour scoff. 

"I had a reason to do so, boy. I-"

"What reason could you possibly have had to not do your job?!" Sylnan's raised voice cracked and broke with every other word, his eyes red from his crying, his clothes still speckled with stray ash.