𝟙𝟝

*two months later*

*two months later*

"Retreat!" The distant yelling got lost within the low grumble of the still collapsing building.

Ella rolled over onto her back as debris tumbled off of her vest, she couldn't see a single thing, and she most definitely couldn't feel her leg.

"Crawford?" Her Sargents voice boomed through her radio.

She groaned in pain as she fumbled around her vest in hopes of finding her radio, only to find out that it had fallen off in the collapse.

"Help!" She yelled at the top of her lungs, fully knowing that if she didn't get out soon she would be no more than a bunch of organs laying around on the floor, just like the unfortunate ones around her.

"Someone help! I'm stuck down here!" She yelled, her cries sounding out mid-sentence.

She looked over to her left to see a bright torch light shining through the mist, followed by a muffled yelling of men.

"We got her, Sarge" she barely heard her partners clearing their way through the rubble...

~

Ella let go of her thigh as she stared at herself in the mirror.  The scars still prominent.

Shame is all she felt.

Not for going through what she went through, because she couldn't have helped that.

But for living through that event, for surviving the collapse when other people didn't, when many children didn't.

Survivors guilt, they call it.

Survivors guilt, it is.

It eats her alive every time she looks at the now faded, but still visible, scar above her knee. If she was two inches to the left that day, she would've lost her leg...

She was snapped out of thought by her phone buzzing, so she swivelled on her heels and continued pulling her jeans up to her waist.

"Alright, on my way" she hung up the call and quickly hurried to throw her boots on.

-

"What're we dealing with?" Ella jogged up to her partner as she rushed to throw her hair up into a low ponytail. 

"Sex trafficking, three female DOA's, all sisters..." jay sighed.