Artemis was staring at him. So he didn't remember waking up in the middle of the night. He didn't remember saying, "I'm going to hold you to that." She shook it off, trying not to overthink it.

Sirius's eyes were shining and he quickly swiped tears away, blinking hard and not meeting anyone's gaze. "I just can't go back there," he said, and his voice broke at last, too choked up to speak.

There was a long silence, broken only by Artemis. "You're not going back," she said, her voice soft but forceful. "You never have to go back."

~

Remus showed up the next day after receiving an owl from James detailing the events of Christmas night. He'd written to Peter too, but he was away on holiday and couldn't come over. He made his excuses with his parents and finally convinced his dad to apparate him to the Potters the next afternoon. The second he stepped inside, he was overwhelmed by the smell of fresh baked cookies and Artemis flinging herself at him, pulling him into a tight hug. "Moony!"

"Art!"

"Oh my god, the amount of stress you boys have caused me in the last week-" she stepped back and gave him a wild-eyed look. "It's unforgivable."

He laughed and pulled a bar of chocolate from his pocket. "Will this help?"

Artemis gave him a relenting smile and took the chocolate. "Consider it forgiven."

"Remus!" Mrs. Potter said, hurrying to give Remus a hug. "Here, sit down, you always look far too thin. Artemis, will you tell James to come out here please? And see if Sirius wants any lunch while you're in there."

Artemis headed towards the living room. Remus started to follow her, but Mrs. Potter held up a hand. He gave her an indignant look. "Can I at least say hello to Sirius before you shove all the food in your house down my throat?"

"Fine."

Once Remus had hugged Sirius and they'd caught each other up on their holidays, Mrs. Potter called them back into the kitchen. "You go ahead," said Artemis, watching James and Remus leave the room.

She sat down on the couch next to Sirius, who was sitting up at last and had enough strength to hold a mug of tea with both hands. He looked over at her, but didn't say anything. She wasn't looking at him. She was staring at the assorted medicines covering the coffee table, a far-off look in her eyes. "What's up, Blake?" Sirius said at last.

"Why do you smell like dog fur?"

He snorted. "I think I may have transformed while I was running from my house. It's all sort of a blur."

"You need a shower."

"You're telling me," he said drily. "I'm going crazy in here, Art."

She nodded. "I know. I'll get you outside as soon as you can stand up without your legs giving out."

"Thanks."

She was silent for another long moment, then she pulled her knees to her chest and looked over at him. "Do you remember the night you showed up here?"

"No."

"None of it?"

He hesitated, running his fingers through his hair absently. Then, he fell still and looked at her, their eyes meeting in the solemn quiet of the living room. Outside, the snow was falling harder than it had yet that week, and they could vaguely hear the voices of James, Remus, and Mrs. Potter in the next room over. "You said we wouldn't fight anymore... if I lived. Which I did."