23. Calm

Lilianduil moved like a phantom through the forest, but Helena managed to keep up, moving gracefully over every obstacle. Quietly, she remarked, "He is quite taken with you, Princess Helena."

"What?" she replied distractedly.

"King Caspian," she explained. As they had gotten rather far ahead, she stopped, glancing back to see the others still a good ways away. Looking back to Helena, she said, "Listen to me, my princess. What you all are to face with the sun may mean the end of one or more lives. Don't allow the sun to rise with regrets." Frowning, Helena opened her mouth to ask questions but as the rustling of the others behind them grew louder, Lilianduil continued on the few steps to the edge, staring out over the sea to the dark island.

When the others had all joined, she said, "The magician, Coriakin, told you of Dark Island?"

"Yes," Caspian replied. As they all cast their eyes upon it, Helena drew in a deep breath to calm the fear in her chest. Comfortingly, Caspian slipped his hand into hers and rubbed his thumb against the back of her hand. Helena allowed herself to close her eyes briefly, taking in the comfort before Lilianduil began speaking again.

"Soon the evil will be unstoppable."

"Coriakin said to break its spell, we lay the seven swords at Aslan's Table," Caspian said.

"He speaks the truth," she replied.

"But we only found six," Edmund remarked. "Do you know where the seventh is?"

Pointing out to the island, she said, "In there." Fixing her eyes on Helena, she said, "You will need great courage. It is no small danger you face." Rounding on them all, Lilianduil urged, "Now waste no time."

"Goodbye," Helena said quietly.

With a kind smile, she said, "Goodbye." In an instant, she had soared back into the sky.

After a moment, Caspian said, "We'll give the men time to eat and then we should head back to the ship."

"Come on, Ed, let's go get some food," Lucy said quietly, grabbing his arm to tug him away.

As the trailing footsteps of her siblings grew softer and softer, Helena turned her gaze back to the Dark Island. Glancing away, she saw that Caspian had still not looked away from the place. "Cas," Helena whispered. When he didn't respond, she repeated, "Cas?"

Not looking away, he replied, "Yes?"

"Are you all right?" she asked gently. He nodded, but he didn't turn his gaze. Cupping his cheek, she turned his head away from the sight.

Looking into her eyes, Caspian said, "Are you scared?"

"No," she replied.

"Why?" he whispered, searching her eyes for some kind of explanation.

Taking a step closer to him, Helena said, "Because I know that we can get that sword, but don't you start doubting yourself, Cas. You'll only destroy yourself and we need you."

"And if I'm not good enough?"

"Cas," Helena said softly. "Your doubt is as solid as the water we sail on."

With a small smile, he said, "That sounds like it could be a proverb."

"It could be," she replied with a shrug. "But if it sounds like a proverb, does that mean you think it sounds like something you should maybe listen to?"

"Maybe," he replied. "Or maybe I just listen to anything a beautiful woman tells me." With a breathy laugh, Helena ducked her head, lowering her hand from his cheek to rest on his shoulder. Gently, Caspian tilted her chin up, remarking, "You always look away when I compliment you. Why?" Helena shrugged, still smiling. As he raised her chin slightly higher, their eyes met. Helena's heart began to pound as she saw the light from the stars reflected in Caspian's eyes.

"Cas," Helena whispered breathily as her heart continued to thunder in her chest.

She began to lean in as he replied, "Helena." Their lips were inches apart. Caspian lay his forehead against hers as her warm breath fanned his cheek.

Distractedly, she replied, "Yes?"

"Can I kiss you?"

Helena's heart skipped a beat as she whispered, "Yes." Time seemed to move in slow motion as Caspian's hand moved back to cup her cheek. His lips were soft against hers and she quickly found herself lost in the feeling of his lips. Going up on her tip-toes, Helena moved her hands into his long hair, pulling him closer as his arms moved sensually around her waist. Pulling away, Caspian lay his forehead against hers. "Hold me," she requested.

Without a word, he wrapped his arms around her, holding her to his chest. Burying her head there, she felt her muscles relax and she knew that if she wasn't standing she would have fallen asleep. Everything was calm.