Chapter 33: Whispers and Truth

Start from the beginning

Before today, the courtroom was her sanctuary. But walking through those double doors and beholding the grand room in front of her, she had thought it felt more like a graveyard.

Witches and wizards from all over Great Britain were filling the seats, the constant chatter of gossiping gits and quills scratching against parchment almost overwhelming her.

She felt a hand fold over hers as Theo stepped beside her. Looking down at her, he gave a steady smile and reassuring squeeze.

He and Blaise led them to their seats across from where the Wizengamot would preside. Hermione scanned the room as they walked, spotting the familiar family of redheads sitting next to a large group of Aurors. Harry sat among them.

Theo had read in The Daily Prophet that although Harry had presented the case to the Wizengamot, he had turned over the responsibility of overseeing this trial to the previous Head Auror, Gawain Robards. He had told the paper he wished to comfort his wife and her family during what would surely be one of the most challenging days of their lives.

Hermione didn't see the point. But she was glad in the end. She didn't think she would have the strength to do what needed to be done if it were Harry who stared at her from behind that podium.

While Robards would oversee, the ultimate decision went to the Wizengamot. It would be them who Hermione would need to convince today.

She sucked in a breath as her eyes shifted to Molly Weasley.

Oh gods.

The Weasley matriarch was a mere ghost of the witch she once was. Her skin was ashen, and deep purple rings circled her eyes—eyes that only stared off into space. The rest of the Weasley family didn't look much better.

She felt a sickness force its way to her throat. Every part of her felt heavy. Unable to meet any of their looks, Hermione took her seat, setting her case in her lap and nervously tapping her fingers across its handle.

There was an opening in the floor where Draco's cage would soon emerge. Hermione didn't let anything else into her mind. Only him. Only her love for him would see her through this. He would be free, and all of this would be over.

Hermione turned to Theo. "Tell me again what—"

Before she could finish, the deep boom of the gavel fell over them. The room fell silent as the court stood for the Wizengamot and the former Head Auror to enter.

She watched as the seats began to fill with red robes, one at a time. Finally, Robards stepped up to the podium surveying the room.

Hermione glanced at Harry, who met her gaze with disappointment lining his face. It made her want to scream and kick and beg him to open his eyes and see.

Soon, he would. They all would.

"Welcome all," Robards announced, "to the trial of Draco Lucius Malfoy, who stands accused of murdering Ronald Billius Weasley. Please bring forth the accused."

At his command, the sound of metal rattling made her teeth clench. As Draco was lifted into the room, Hermione felt the magic in her veins roar with rage.

He was chained from head to toe as if the Aurors feared he would somehow escape the barbaric cage that held him. Covered in filth and blood—her blood...Ron's blood—he still wore the clothes he had been arrested in. His blonde hair was matted and wild.

It was wrong. So fucking wrong, and it was all because of her.

Draco's eyes searched the room, careful to stay calm and unbothered until they finally locked with hers.