Dodge-A-Rooney

(Y/n)'s POV

Today Maddie and Liv were doing their community service in many places. I was in the kitchen sitting at the table on my phone.

Since I'm a freshman I don't have to do my community service until next year and I'm okay with that, even though helping people is nice I do want to sleep in on Saturdays.

Maddie came in and walk up to us. "Hi, guys." "I had the best day doing community service at the senior center." I put my phone down to listen to her. "Helping people feels so great."

"Wow, Maddie. I'm so glad. Would you help me set the table?" Mom asked.

"Ugh! I'm so tired." Maddie said. I got up from my chair and walk over to them.

"I am so proud of you and Liv." "But I'm surprised you didn't pick the same project." Mom said getting back to cooking.

"Yeah, well, I think Liv knows that the senior center is my turf. I've been there for two years. Plus, it's all florescent lighting." "She says it makes her look like she has the flu." She told Mom.

"Well, she was unbelievably excited about volunteering for Beautify Wisconsin."

"Yeah, wait till she finds out what Beautify Wisconsin actually means." I laughed mocking Mom's actions.

And right on cue, Liv walks in covered in dirt and garbage. I was trying so hard not to laugh right now. "Turns out Beautify Wisconsin is not going door-to-door giving makeovers." "I spend two hours in a ditch picking up anything that people threw out of their cars, cigarettes butts, potato chip bags, and most humiliating of all, the Season 1 DVD of Sing it Loud."

I just couldn't hold it in anymore and laughed with Maddie, making Mom hit us to stop.

That moment was the best thing that happened in the week.

–––

The weekend passed and now it was back to school, I was with Grace in the front of the school watching as they announced who would look out for Paulie.

We all cheered as Diggie came up front to talk. "All right, all right, porcupines. Friday night, we play our biggest rivals, the Fairview Tiger Sharks!" Everyone booed loudly. "And every year, those Tiger Sharks try to steal our beloved mascot, Paulie the Porcupine!" "But the night before the big game, two freshmens are chosen to watch over Paulie. As basketball team captain, I have selected Joey Rooney and Skippy Ramirez to keep Paulie safe from the Tiger Sharks." They both went up but stop when everyone started to boo.

"I'm sorry. Just to be clear, are you booing us, or are you booing the Tiger Sharks?" Joey asked but got quickly booed.

"Dude, stop saying Tiger Sharks." Skippy said and got booed again.

I looked at Grace and saw her booing too. Giving her a questionable look. "What everyone else is doing it." She just shrugs.

"Uh, we are your Paulie protectors." Everyone started to cheer as Joey and Skippy high-five.

Once everyone left Grace and I stayed with Joey and Skippy. Diggie came over to talk to them. "Look, dudes, just make sure nothing happens to Paulie, all right?" "He's our good luck charm."

"-I'll crush anyone who comes near him," Skippy exclaimed very quickly. We all shared a look.

"I can't believe I'm saying this but, Joey I think you're the muscle?" I said still trying to conceive what I was saying. This is most likely to go up in flames. Diggie and the rest of the team left, leaving me, Grace, and the 'Pauli protectors'. 

"Joey, thanks for hooking me up with this job." "This is gonna be so much fun." 

"Fun?" "Fun? Skippy, this is serious work." I and Grace shared a look and saw how sacred Skippy looked. "Have you looked around? We can't secure this porcupine." Joey said looking agitated. "I did a quick 360 and there are 47 points of entry." "Forty-eight if these Tiger Sharks can tunnel up through the floor."