Imogen nodded, her face burning worse.

"I wonder why, then, that you haven't made the effort. You'll be joining us for detention. This year is not the year to get complacent."

With that the torture was over, as McGonagall left to collect the last of the homework in and continue with her lesson.

"Wonder why she didn't say that our essays are good?" Imogen heard one Weasley twin mutter to the other.

"I think she was saying in a general sense. Y'know. Generally, essays are good," the other replied, and they sniggered to eachother.

What a pair of idiots. Imogen vowed to do every piece of homework from then on.

McGonagall set them a reading task for the first half of the lesson, which gave Imogen and Mo plenty of time to talk.

"Why would you go and get detention for tonight?" Mo asked angrily.

Imogen's head was propped up on her hand. Despite her lie in, she was very tired. "Well, I didn't actually mean to, Mo."

Mo continued with her point, as if Imogen hadn't spoken at all. "Tonight's the common room party. The one Victor invited us to."

Imogen turned suddenly to look at her friend, who was glaring at her, her lips pouty but her eyes venomous. "Shit. I'm forgetting everything today."

"Well you're not getting out of it!" Mo insisted. "If you think I'm going to go and sit with those seventh year cows without you, you're mistaken."

Imogen gave a half hearted laugh. "How do you expect me to get out of detention with McGonagall?"

Mo's pout intensified, and she returned to her reading, muttering "She won't keep you late."

This statement did not seem to serve a purpose beyond making herself feel better, so Imogen moved on from it, knowing she had no control over how late McGonagall kept her.

"I'm sorry I forgot. And that I got detention," Imogen said.

Mo's reply came begrudgingly, after a moment had passed. "It's okay. You arse."

Imogen laughed and elbowed her, and Mo giggled with her, and before they could discuss the topic any further Mo seemed to remember something.

"Oh, Immy, did you hear about Angelina?" she asked, her eyes full of glee as she clutched her friend's arm.

"What about her?"

"He told me not to tell, but Victor caught her smoking weed this weekend. Out by the lake."

Mo's glee intensified at seeing the surprise on Imogen's face. "I know, I know! It's quite pathetic."

Imogen wasn't sure she'd have gone with the word pathetic... but it was an entertaining thought. She looked at the back of the gryffindor girl's head. She was sat on the desk to the left of the twins, her head propped up on her hand, her fingers holding a fistful of her long dark braids. "Poor Angelina."

"The only problem was he couldn't even give her a detention because he was up way past curfew himself. But he told her just how dim witted she was."

Imogen believed her. She had watched Victor Dornan telling off students younger than him since her first year at Hogwarts, when he was an already-rambunctious second year. Mo had fancied him pretty much since then, but it was only the end of last term that he'd finally liked her back. Now they were in an achingly long honeymoon period, during which Victor was Mo's one and only priority.

"I wonder where she got it," Imogen said.

Mo frowned. "What, the weed?"

"Yeah."