CHAPTER NINETEEN . 夏の光

Start from the beginning

He was mortally-flawed yet deific in union, sculpted in creation to be a doll of the gods.

As time went forth, he grew a sort of attachment to you. From what little the two of you had in common, he found haven in your orphaned parentage. As children born and grew without affection, neither of you could perceive concepts of love. When he had told you once before, that he thought of you as his better half, he had meant those very words. You were indeed his better half; capable of expressing love, hatred, disgust, sadness, and fear. He knew that the two of you would share these commonalities of childhood and parentage but he also knew you were human to the extent of mortal emotions.

Before, when he had told you that he loved you, it wasn't necessarily a lie by any means. Yet still, back then, he was scared of driving you further away from him and from that place of fear, he said it in hopes of you staying. He understands that now, it was truly manipulation to say such a thing yet not mean or understand it. He was afraid of losing you, utterly terrified to see you leave him. Like his own creator once did.

When the two of you had fought that one time, causing you to subsequently leave, he was angry and frustrated at your own ignorance. He had believed then that his actions are not wrong, that he had a right to withhold the information from you.

There were faults, at both ends. It was pride that blinded the two of you, neither ever wavering in the slightest in fear of demonstrating weakness. When you had finally cracked, the puppet got to see the lowest a mortal could be. And he feared for you— the apprehension of dreaded loss, that you would fall deeper into the abyss of darkness. And you would cease to climb from it.

And yet, you stood again. Going as far as to denounce the puppet's manipulation and leave.

It was then when the puppet learned the concept of loss and fear.

Slowly, over the time spent with one another, you taught him that vulnerability was not an expression of weakness. You taught him how divinity, no matter how hard you attempted to feign it, could not be reached by mortal hands. You taught him that loving and trusting one another was not an easy task. Such simplistic ideas, so fundamentally universal to understand had the two of you not possessed the destiny you two did now.

And yet, through it all, you suffered the most.

Even after it all, the puppet watched as you rose from your defeated state over and over again.

Yes, you are afraid.

Yes, you are weak.

Yes, you are powerless.

The puppet learned the concepts of admiration and strength.

But even after adversity had knocked you down, you rose again— confidence wavering yet you stood. The puppet couldn't comprehend why nor how you possessed this strength to stand against the world when you held no favors of Celestia; when you possessed nothing but your own fragile, mortal life.

It was truly baffling, thought the puppet, the existence of transient humanity in the face of utter chaos.

Then, thought the puppet, that perhaps the reason why he admired you was because of this courage. Perhaps, it was jealousy in your ability to resist that drew him in— seeing as how he already possessed omnipotence beyond mortal comprehension but he himself could never fit into human society.

A puppet that pretends to be someone with dominion when in reality, he possesses nothing.

He harbored this thought for a great many years. He who has been casted out by the gods and ostracized by humanity— what could he do? How could he be accepted? Who could accept him for who he truly was? How could he learn to love without a heart to guide him? What does it mean to love another?