Chapter 3

•••

•••

"Ella, wait," she heard her dad say before she left the apartment. She turned to see him leaning on the door frame of the living room.

"What is it?" She asked.

"Come back home directly after school, please," he said. Ella frowned.

The Cadogan parents trusted their daughters. They knew she wouldn't mess around outside the house (except when it comes to reporting). So when Ella was out, they were usually not very worried. Of course, Ella still had a curfew. They were not completely oblivious of the danger of the world. Yet they never asked Ella to be back directly after school. They knew she would be at Gwen's place, or at a café, working on articles or her homework. So if they do ask, Ella knew something was wrong.

"Why?" Ella asked.

"Criminality rate went up lately," Mr. Cadogan said. "Robberies especially. And Batroc is still out there. Your mother and I will be more at ease knowing you're safe at home,"

Ella did nothing newspaper was talking more and more about crimes lately. A few days ago, a man was shot at the back entrance of a theater. He was not dead but he was assaulted by a man who wanted to rob him of his money. A day before that, someone was shot outside of a library for the same reason. New York was getting more and more dangerous.

"Don't worry, Dad," Ella smiled. "I'll come back directly,"

"Good," he smiled. "And don't investigate on those cases, alright?"

"Don't give me ideas," she joked before kissing her dad's cheek and leaving.

Ella walked down the stairs and sped to the bus stop. She didn't want to miss it or she would be late for school. When it was there, she climbed it and went to sit beside Gwen. The bus passed by her apartment as well so the two girls would always see each other before school. They actually met like that. On the first day of freshman year, the bus was full. The only place left was beside Gwen so that was where Ella sat. Of course, being the shy girl she was around people, Ella stayed quiet. But Gwen being the social butterfly she was, initiated a conversation with Ella. And naturally, they became friends.

"So you finally talked to Peter?" Gwen asked Ella with a smirk. The Cadogan girl blushed but smiled nevertheless.

"Don't imagine things," Ella said. "He helped a freshman and Flash beat him up. So I stepped in,"

"Oh, so you saved him," Gwen chuckled.

"Shut it," Ella nudged her.

"Now that you did talk to him," Gwen smiled. "Do it again and you'll become friends," she encouraged.

"Why do you want me to befriend him so much?" Ella muttered.

"Because you would never do it on your own. You need a little push," Gwen winked.