Chapter 2

•••

•••

"What pushed you to join the football team?" Ella asked Josh, a quarterback of the Midtown high football team. The girl was asked to write an article on the football team. They were getting better and better and gaining recognization, so better were more interested in them.

"Honestly? Girls," Josh said, taking a bite of his sandwich. Elle was, to say the least, taken aback by his answer. It was not what she was expecting. She did not know what she was expecting, but definitely not that.

"Girls?" Ella repeated.

"Yeah, girls like football players so I went to the tryout," Josh shrugged.

"And now? Did it change?"

"Nope," Josh said without hesitation. "Still playing for them,"

"But you do like football?"

"To be honest, not that much," Josh grimaced. Ella was, once again, taken aback. "It's boring and dangerous. The training is so tiring I don't have a minute for myself,"

Ella stared at the player for a moment. She was searching for any kind of lies and jokes. But he seemed either super serious or completely uncaring at all. In fact, he seemed kind of lost, looking around looking for something or nothing at the same time.

"So you just... Play football so girls will like you?" Ella asked in utter bewilderment.

She had no issue with that. People were free to do whatever they wanted to do. And people were free to have anything during them forward. She was just a little surprised that he lasted so long in the team pushed by such reason. It was usually hard to last in work or sport if you don't like it even just a little bit. Josh's will to please girls must be strong then.

"Exactly," Josh nodded. "Does it work though?"

"What?" she frowned, confused.

"Do you want to date me?" he specified. Ella widened her eyes in pure shock.

"What?" she almost choked in her won saliva. "I- uh, I am... not looking for a relationship at the time,"

"Oh,"

"But I'm sure many girls like you," she quickly added, not wanting to hurt his feeling. And it seemed to work as a smile quickly reached Josh's lips.

Ella sighed and kept interviewing him. But it was one of the strangest interviews she had even done.

She had never been this happy to end an interview before but Josh was someone very hard and tiring to handle. Besides, she was not very fond of football. She did not understand the rules and did not understand why it was called football while most of the time, they had the ball in the arm. But it may be her English side that was talking. Her mother was born in Wales, so Ella was more fond of football than American football. Or at least, the name seemed to be fit properly.