Flames of Life & Death

Start from the beginning

"On the outside?" said Emma.

"Well, it can also be lifted from the inside by someone who knows how."

Emma and Richard looked at each other and came to the same thought:

Kendall.

She nodded hopefully, her nerves beginning to settle. He'll figure it out. He's a smart boy.

But no sooner had she taken a breath of relief, they were suddenly startled by a loud and powerful force that echoed through the air like a cannon, causing Emma to jump so fast that she lost her balance and fell to the ground. Looking up, they saw a jet of flames surge through the roof into the air, causing much of the metal on the roof to come crashing down around them. Scrambling to their feet, they retreated several yards before turning back to stare at the scene in horror.

Jack immediately set out to call for help while Richard stood in silence, unable to comprehend what was happening. As the images of her children being burned alive began to intrude into her mind, Emma sank to her knees, buried her face in her hands, and began sobbing.

____________________________________________________________

Josh, Kendall, and Chris moved toward the door to the main room. Josh placed his hands on the door but Chris stopped him.

"What?"

Chris placed a finger to his lips and pointed back down the hall. "Rebecca's probably watching the cameras."

"She is," said Kendall. "That's what she said earlier."

Chris nodded. "There are cameras all over the place, so we have to be sneaky."

"What are we doing, exactly?" Kendall asked.

"We have to find your sister and get outta here."

"I still don't get it," said Josh. "If you knew that children were being kidnapped, why were you expecting us to come?"

"I knew you would," said Chris. "I've seen people of many types over my life. You may have a bit of a rough exterior, suitable for a young man such as yourself, but you've got something deep down that isn't all that common anymore, Josh...a heart that isn't satisfied with letting sleeping dogs lie. Even though they had you snowed about me at first, you knew that something fishy was going on and you had the firsthand experience needed to take the leap of faith. You'd be amazed at how few people there are in the world anymore who would actually do that."

"What about me?" said Kendall.

"Well, given the lockdown, someone needed to be in charge of finding a way in...someone with brains," said Chris, a slight smirk appearing before his face went sour. "Unfortunately, I didn't think your sister would be coming with you, too."

"That was my fault," said Kendall. "I encouraged her to come with me."

"Well, if I'd only known just how insane their operation was, I would never have left that trail of hints to begin with. None of us belong here right now. I thought children simply possessing animatronics was crazy enough, but actually living as robots?"

"What do we do?" asked Kendall.

"We need to find your sister and get outta here...then alert the police. Josh, do you have your phone on you?"

Josh reached into his pocket only to discover to his horror that his trusty cell phone, which he always kept in his right side pocket, wasn't there. He thought back to the last moment he knew he had it: in the vent right before it collapsed. He realized that he'd never gotten the chance to put it back into his pocket before everything got hectic.