Not long later, I hear my bedroom door creak open. I already know it's Mom coming to check on me. I can tell she's been worried about me all day. I haven't been myself. I really thought I'd get a text message at least from him. He loves me. I think.

I pretend to be asleep, trying to even out my breaths even though they're choppy and broken from all the crying I've been doing. I close my eyes, turned away from the door and hope that I can just be left alone.

A warm hand settles on my back. It feels too big to be Mom's. Dad's come to check on me instead. I feel him sit on the edge of my bed next to me. He remains silent and I wonder how long I'll have to pretend to sleep for. I can feel a sob building and I'd rather not cry in front of my parents today.

"Luna Baby."

My eyes snap open at the sound of the deep voice. A deep voice that sounds thick and solemn. A deep voice that is all too familiar. A deep voice that I have missed so, so much.

I whip around quickly, not caring about the state of my reddened and tear-stained face. Light streams into the dark room from the hallway through the cracked open door. Oli stares back at me, deep eyes heavy with guilt.

"Oli?" I question hesitantly, not sure if this is even real. Hell, I miss him so much, I could be dreaming right now. Or hallucinating. Who knows.

He gives me a hesitant little smile. "Hi, Little One."

I blink a few times, registering that this is actually happening. No matter how much I want to jump into his arms right now, I don't. I move away from him slightly, sitting up against the headboard and letting his hand drop from me. Staring up at him with wide eyes, I feel my bottom lip wobble, a sob threatening to escape.

"Y-You didn't call," I whisper, watching as he looks down avoiding my eyes, "I waited, Oli. All day," my voice breaks, tears escaping down my cheeks once more, "It's my birthday and you- you didn't even call."

He nods slowly, keeping his eyes on the ground for a second. When he looks back up at me, he's got tears in his eyes. "I know, Luna. I'm so fúcking sorry." He shakes his head then begins to explain, "I was going to get here this morning. It was going to be a surprise. I- I had every intention of being with you today, Little One. I have a game tomorrow night but I skipped training. Coach was so angry with me. But being here with you means more than anything to me. You mean everything to me, Little Luna."

He swallows roughly before continuing hurriedly, "I got to the airport on time for my flight. I was going to land here at nine. I was going to get to spend the whole day with you. I checked in and everything and it was all good. Then my flight got delayed by an hour. Technical difficulties or something. I was going to call Mom and Mama and let them know, but I couldn't find my phone. I still don't know where it is - either I dropped it in the airport somewhere or it's in my dorm, I don't know. And I don't even have any phone numbers memorised. I used to know Mom's, but she changed it a few months ago. I-I couldn't let anyone know."

He takes in a deep shaky breath, looking up to the ceiling for a minute, "My flight got delayed further. High winds or something this time. First it was an hour, then another, then another. Before I knew it, I had been waiting in that airport for twelve hours. Alone. Just thinking about the fact that it was my best friend's birthday and I was missing all of it. I couldn't even ring you to tell you happy birthday. I was helpless. I didn't think I'd ever get on that damn plane. But I finally did and when I landed here... I realised it was too late anyway. The whole day has passed and... You probably think I'm an asshole. I'm sorry, Little One," He looks back to me, "I really tried."

The second he's done with his explanation, I launch myself into his arms. The tears keep falling as he catches me, pulling me close so that I can curl up into his lap. I wrap my arms around him and bury my face into the crook of his neck. I cry and I sob for God knows how long until I finally get the strength to pull away slightly.