3. In Need for Comfort

Start from the beginning

"I'm going to be tired for a while now."

I nodded and finally ripped my eyes off him to take a look at the room. It was not a hospital room. There were big, thick curtains over the window, a soft carpet covering the floor, a big TV on the wall opposite of the bed, a big bookcase on the right and a fridge and a desk on the left.

"This place looks nice," I told him, turning my attention back to him. "I wish we had rooms like this in our hospitals. It would be so much less intimidating."

"I like this little clinic. You should see some of the others I've been in. Such nasty rat holes... Mike really knows how to make his patients comfortable," Sirius said, shortly glancing at the room.

"So this is his clinic?"

"Yes."

"And I'm guessing the laundromat is hiding what this place really is," I said.

"That, and for extra income," Sirius said, trying to push himself to sit up, so I hurried to place his pillows behind his back.

The covers fell off him, and I couldn't stop my eyes from darting to his chest, then down to his stomach. He really was weak... He had a muscular body and zero fat, but he moved like he was nothing but skin and bones. The uncovered, stitched wound hurt my eyes. It was clear it was not improving yet.

"So you're going to stay here for a while, huh?"

He nodded. "I don't think I can return home anytime soon. I can't even get out of bed, and I fear they're watching my house..."

"They?" I repeated. "The people who attacked you?"

He sighed and nodded. I was hoping he'd tell me what was going on. It wasn't really my place to ask, but I really wanted to know. He glanced at me, and after a short moment of hesitation, he sighed and took a better position against the pillows.

"It is a boring territory dispute. This is a sanctuary for our kind, so fighting isn't allowed. There is another vampire family who wants my territory, but I refuse to sell it. This has been our home for decades, after all. I may be the last of my family, but this is still my territory."

"So... because you're not giving it up, they're trying to kill you?" I asked in shock.

He didn't answer me right away. "They claim they didn't send the attacker, of course. But it's obvious it's them. Once I'm out of their way, they can take my territory, and no one will stop them."

"And you can't even go to the cops," I guessed.

"We have our own council with our own cops and laws, but without proof... The council has their hands full with protecting humans and making sure they don't find out about us. They won't waste resources on a lone vampire like me."

"So you're alone in this? You just have to hide and hope they can't find you?" I asked with a frown.

"The council does what they can. I am grateful they are protecting my rights as the owner and they're making sure no one steals my territory as long as I live. Besides, I could just give it up and move elsewhere, far away from here," he said, his expression turning sad.

"But it's your home! You have the right to keep it!" I said, standing up, feeling pissed.

"You are a spirited young human," he said in amusement.

"I want to help," I said without hesitation. "There has to be something I can do! My friend's dad is a lawyer–"

Sirius lifted his hand, laughing lightly. "You are a very odd young human," he said.