"Whatever." I smack her arm. She laughs under her breath.

"You're so immature, y/n." I shoot her a grin.

"Well, I just adapted to my surroundings." I'm surrounded by complaints and whines and denials. "Exactly. You're proving my point, my darlings."

"Ugh," Duke groans. She suddenly sits up. "So, JD, y/n. Considering how woefully unprepared for prom you are, I assume you never got to pick out outfits."

"Mm... Nope," I say. JD shakes his head. Mac perks up.

"We should go shopping after school next week. Get them some formal wear." JD groans.

"I don't do ties and suits. Have you seen me?"

"Does this mean I get a dress?" I whine.

"Oh, yes it does," Chandler says deviously. The Heathers share a look, then smile at the pair of us. "Don't look so glum, you know we did a whole makeover with Veronica. Look how well that turned out." I glance at Veronica. Having seen all sides of her at this point, I don't really mind if she has makeup and fancy clothes or nothing on her face and casual wear. I think she looks great in either.

There it is again. My brain with its stupidly complex compliments of Veronica Sawyer. Of course she's pretty and amazing and shit. It's just not great if I'm trying to keep my warring thoughts at bay.

"Y/n?" I blink, focusing on Veronica.

"Wh..."

"You're staring at me." I open my mouth.

"Oh. I, uh, zoned out. Sorry." She blinks a few times, then smiles teasingly.

"Zone back in. Or maybe stop lovingly gazing into my eyes." She innocently raises her eyebrows. "Just a suggestion." I push away her face, standing up and rolling my eyes as she laughs.

"I'm gonna get a soda. What do you guys want?" They start to chime in with responses. Chandler stands as well.

"I need to make sure my parents aren't here." We leave the room. As I head down the stairs, I can't help but notice her behind me.

"Chan? Gonna maybe explore a bit to find them?"

"Nope. I just needed an excuse to talk to you privately." My mouth tastes of panic.

"Okay..."

"So, with your little crush on Veronica, it's a wonder she hasn't figured out yet." I freeze halfway down the steps. I turn to look at her.

"What?" She puts a hand on her hip.

"I mean, come on. The way you look at her should be a dead giveaway." I sputter, trying to regain my composure.

"I don't... Have a crush on her." She laughs aloud, walking past me down to the kitchen.

"Sure. Keep telling yourself that." She opens the fridge. "But that doesn't hide the fact that you have feelings for Sawyer."

"I do not." She peers at me from behind the fridge door.

"Mhm..." I walk over, plucking two cans of pop from the shelf. One for me, one for Mac.

"You're such an ass."

"I'm just asking." She gives me a smile. "If you do like her, though, I think it'd be worth confessing."

"Probably not," I say. I stammer, trying to correct myself. "I mean, not like I do, or anything." I pause. "... Why? Does it look like I do?" She scoffs, taking a big bag of chips from the pantry.

"Don't wanna burst your bubble, but duh?"

"Ah."

"I wouldn't worry. Veronica's either extremely dense or just likes playing with your feelings." She picks up a few bottles of water and the bag of chips. "Or she returns them." I feel my face burn.

Damn you, blood. Blushing is an inconvenience when trying to make a point.

"Whatever..."

"Hey, I'm not the one who crawled into her bed and slept there during a windstorm."

"I just needed someone, Chandler."

"You were almost clinging to each other. Come on."

"Shut up, Heather."

"I just call it like I see it." I grab the cans of pop, heading up the stairs.

"Well, maybe you're just wrong." Great, another reason for my thoughts on Veronica to grow muddled. What do I want with her?

"Y/n, if you really don't like her, I'm sorry if I'm forcing it on you." I look back at Chandler. She doesn't meet my eyes.

"What do you mean?"

"I just..." She sighs. "It can be annoying to have that. I just thought there was a little something more to you guys." I smile a bit.

"Is Heather Chandler apologizing to me?" She glares at me. I giggle. "Don't be sorry. It's okay to see something and assume."

"Mhm."

"Besides, I don't really know how I feel about Veronica." I let out a breath, looking up the stairs to make sure none of our friends are listening. "It's all so confusing. Maybe I do like her. Maybe I will. Maybe I just admire her. I don't know."

"Well, whatever you feel about her, I think it's warranted. Sawyer's a great person." I smile.

"I know." We walk up the stairs, back to her room. She throws the bottles of water on the floor, letting our friends get them.

I walk over and hand one of the cans to Mac, settling beside her and popping the tab.

"So, when are we doing the whole dressy clothing shopping?" I ask. JD stares at me like I'm crazy.

"You're actually on board with this?" I shrug.

"I think it could be fun." I grin. "And I dunno, prom night actually sounds kinda cool."

"Yes!" Mac says excitedly. Duke smiles approvingly, ruffling my hair.

"You're in good hands, guys." I push away her hand.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever." Chandler smirks.

"Y/n would look good in blue, hm?" I glare at her. She knows Veronica's colour is blue. She knows. That devious little jerk.

"Blue, huh?" Veronica says. She smiles at me. "Matching." I feel flutters erupt in my stomach.

"Yeah."

I stare out the window, watching the surroundings go from hectic and urban to calm and rural. Every minute that passes brings me closer to my destination. I don't think I'm ready. But I will be. I have to be.

I am.