VIII. Your Majesty

Start from the beginning

"We got what we needed, didn't we?" Y/N asks, jaw chattering.

"Yes, but now we have to find a new way out. With no torch. And it's freezing." I stand up on shaky legs, still pumping on adrenaline. Y/N looks up at me with wide eyes, and I realize that the quivering of her chin isn't from the cold. She's scared.

She stands up and comes face to face with me, "I uh—thank you. That was so scary, I couldn't breathe, I thought I was dead." She stares at her shaking hands, and then she surprises me for the second time that day. Y/N leans forward and wraps her arms around my neck, "Just—thanks. Really." She whispers.

My hands feel numb as I place them on her back, and it's not from the cold. I try to blink away the dizziness in my eyes when her wet hair hits my shoulder, but to no avail. The things this stupid girl does to me.

"We need to keep going and get to that village, right? before it gets dark?" She says as she pulls away, still holding on to my shoulders.

"Yeah, probably." I refuse to even look her in the eyes, afraid they'll melt me. She releases my shoulders and busies herself with picking up the spell book from the ground and tucking it into the waistband of her pants. "Find us a way out of here, Your Majesty." She says, crossing her arms over her chest. As if none of this had any affect on her.

"Your Majesty? That's new."

"Don't get used to it."

-

It takes what seems like a very, very long time, but after hours of feeling along dark cave walls and arguing about whether or not we were going in circles, we make it out of the cave unscathed. Mostly unscathed.

"Ugh, why can't it be warmer out? I'm still freezing." Y/N says when we step into the fresh air.

"It's December."

"Since when?" I roll my eyes at her and puff hot air into my hands, she's right, it is cold.

The sun is beginning to set and we still have a little ways to go until we reach the village, so we find a quick path and push our horses to go as fast as they can. While the rest of the wolf is winding down for the night, the village is just waking up.

Lanterns light each corner, small bands play everywhere, and drinks are passed. While the only thing we want to do is go to our hotel and go to sleep, we feel it's only kind to indulge the people for a bit.

"Won't the new king and queen join us for a dance?" a tiny woman asks the two of us, upon our arrival.

Y/N looks between the two of us uncertainly, "How about some of those drinks?"

So we spend our night drinking and laughing and partying with a village full of very kind, very small people. The whole time, Y/N steers from the topic of dancing every time it's brought up, and so I decide it is the perfect way to get under her skin.

"Come on Y/N, just one dance?" I beg.

"Edmund, come on. You're ruining the fun." She laughs. A little too hard.

"I think you've had too many of these," I reach for her drink but she reels away, pulling her hand out of my grasp.

"Fine, one dance," she throws her arms over my shoulders suddenly, some of her drink sloshing out onto me. A third surprise. "But only one, Your Majesty."