18: A Rescue for the Distressed

Start from the beginning

Beth hoped not.

She was startled from her thoughts as a fork struck a glass and Lancaster rose to make a speech. His coat tails were long, elegant but by no means extravagant, almost too subtle for a man of his wealth. It would do him good to save where he could, Beth thought with a smile, turning her attention to her cousin. Victoria... well, she looked extravagant. Her bodice was modest, rising to sleeves that puffed at the shoulders and then clung tightly to her arms. As she raised her glass, gaze fixed somewhat adoringly on her husband, the cuff could be seen to narrow to a delicate point along the back of her hand, serving to make her fingers look longer and more delicate. Beth couldn't help as her own gloved fingers curled into her dress.

A cheer of congratulations rose around Beth, and she joined it quickly, hoping her delay hadn't been noticed. A quick glance around the table found no eyes on her; neither her brothers nor Thomas and David – who had both been issued last minute invitations with only a vestige of anxiety on the part of Victoria – were looking in her direction.

That changed as the music began and there was a subtle cough at her side.

Pendrake was offering her his hand. "May I have this dance, Lady Elizabeth."

Beth accepted quickly, glad to leave her thoughts and the table behind.

They joined the floor in time to slip into a quadrille. They stayed for more dances than would have been appropriate at any other function, and after Beth's entire body began to move with the force it took to breathe, she cried off. She was only too happy when Pendrake suggested they take a turn in the gardens.

"Oh yes! My aunt has a very lovely fountain that you must see."

"I would be delighted."

The dinner was being held at the home of their aunt and cousins, and Beth had many a fond memory here. Running through the maze with Rosemary and Victoria, splashing water at her brothers as their parents watched on from the terrace. Sometimes it caught Beth by surprise to remember that Bart had inherited this estate. One day it would be his children that frolicked amongst the hedges and fought wars against their cousins around the fountain.

She pulled herself from the memories, prepared to apologise, but found Pendrake staring off into the distance himself. They descended the stairs, moving onto the well-maintained lawn, and Beth decided to interrupt his uncharacteristic silence.

"Are you well, Lord Pendrake?"

He blinked slowly, his eyes swimming briefly, and then grinned at her. "Absurdly well, Lady Elizabeth."

She could not help but return his smile. "May I ask what thoughts consume you?"

He blinked again. "I was contemplating fate. Or rather my fate, and perhaps... our fate."

Beth blushed and looked away. They reached the fountain and separated to pass on either side of the broad circle, both admiring the mermaid carved in the centre. They fell into step beside each other again, walking in companionable silence – foreign, but not unwelcome – towards the edges of the maze.

There was a slight breeze, picking at wisps of Beth's hair and cooling the sweat on her skin until gooseflesh formed. She might have shivered, but her gaze was caught by the stars as they strolled.

"Oh, I hadn't..." She let out a sigh of wonder. "What a lovely, clear night!" The tiny pinpricks winked and wavered far above them, watching them. "Perhaps you have a fondness for the stars, Lord Pendrake? They have oft been seen as markers of luck and fate, after all."

"Lady Elizabeth-" Beth glanced down at his urgent tone, her musing abruptly stifled, flinching back in surprise when she found him close. "- I am overcome."