35 | Something Isn't Right

Ronan isn't answering my messages. Christian isn't even opening them. My mother has left so many shouty voice mails that my phone gave up and stopped accepting new ones.

And the only thing I can think to do is something that makes sense. So I drive to the office and wrap my coat around me to prevent the coming blizzard from freezing my skin off. I'm still technically on vacation but work feels like the only thing that's stable. I know what I'm doing here. It's simple.

Despite the cold, my key effortlessly turns in the door and the lights flicker on at the sight of me, illuminating a path through the hallway of cubicles like the reflective strips on an airplane. Except these don't guide me to an exit, but to a dark wooden door with my name etched into a plate just above eye level. My fingers trace the deep engraved letters.

Julie Kendrick, Supervisor - IT

Somehow it makes me seem both solid and immovable. And that realization strikes me like I've been hit by a truck. It's strange to think of myself as irrevocably an IT supervisor. As though that were somehow an integral part of who I am. It's just my job. But it's a job I know well, and an easy distraction. I shake my head and wave my arms to make sure the lights stay on before pressing my card into the door lock.

The metal knob is cool against my hand and the door swinging open triggers the lights in the office. Then my computer screen springs to life, welcoming me with a field of lavender and my lock screen.

Sitting down at my desk is like putting on an old glove, and a few taps of the keyboard brings me to my desktop. But that's where the ease comes to an end as I'm greeted by a flashing red icon. There's a major issue on my report. Which means I now have to do that instead of the mundane tasks I had planned. Clicking the icon, I quickly dial my boss's cell number.

I only barely find the error before someone picks up. "Hello. Samantha speaking."

"Hello, Samantha. I'm looking for Mr. Georges-Mandrapilias so I can verify the numbers in the--"

"The Daniels' Account? I know. The numbers were looking strange on our end, too."

"If it was looking weird on your end, why did no one do anything about this? It's a major discrepancy in their accounts."

"Well, I know you were looking at their security vulnerabilities and they are claiming it was a hack. Either way we are likely going to have to report this to the authorities as it certainly looks like it fits the bill."

"I finished their assessment before I left, Samantha. The report was on your desk and there's nothing to find. Unless someone is using a technique as yet unknown to humanity, their accounts are secure. So is their house. And everything else Mrs. Daniels is concerned about. I really think we ought to alert her as well as the authorities, Samantha."

The woman giggles at the most inappropriate times. And the fire begins to bubble in my chest.

"Do you know how much danger she could be in? You're just going to let her flounder in all of this?"

"Okay, well. I'm not sure how to do that and it is Christmas holidays, Ms. Kendrick. Everyone's gone."

"Everyone is gone? No one is available for work, but somehow you were all comfortable asking me to work through my vacation?"

"Well, that's. I don't know what's going on with that, I'm just the messenger."

I can't stop it. The fire explodes up out of me and into the phone. "I cannot believe you. Don't give me that 'I'm just the messenger' crap like you aren't acutely aware of everything that happens in this office. You're probably pulling most of the strings, too, I suspect." I manage to stop myself before I imply things about who might be having relationships with whom.