M2-Part III

Slowly, darkness fell. It was another dreadful night for him. Unlike every other night, tonight had a little twist. His eye lids opened as usual, he still wasn’t sure if he was awake or asleep as he breathed slowly under his blanket, the silence was bliss-except of course for Chris’ light snoring-but eerie.

Chris grunted abruptly, intruding into Henry’s very silent thought of who or what must’ve woken him at this point in the night, it made his heart skip a beat as beads of sweat formed behind his neck. He mustered enough courage to turn to his other side just so he’d be more comfortable but it turned out to be one regrettable choice.

There was a figure standing at the window, it wore something that looked like McKay’s Pajamas. Almost lifeless it seemed, not even a single gesture did it make. Needless to say, Henry could literally hear his heart beat as it now thumped against his chest.

“McKay, what’s wrong?” he managed to ask, fear was very evident in his voice. There was no reply. As if compelled, he jumped off his bunk and walked towards the still figure.

“Dude, why’re you up?” he was now within distance of the mute inanimate figure. The window flung open, Henry jerked back in shock of the sound as air blasted his face in a rush and the street lights illuminated the room a bit more; that wasn’t McKay or McKay’s pajamas, it was a quite lanky, pale looking man. It had large soulless muddy eyes which seemed to be totally grey, his face wore no expression and what he thought to be a pajama was actually a uniform with a faded tag on it. His jaws dropped, his breathing increased rapidly, his heart beat was like a stampede as his throat tightened in a knot. He withdrew away from the man; his body was in a state of convulsion, he tried screaming but all strength was gone. The man still didn’t move, instead he had its gaze fixed on Henry.

The lights turned on, Henry almost jumped out of his skin at the sound of McKay’s voice, “Why’d you open the windows?”

There was no reply from a quivering Henry who couldn’t explain what had just happened. Chris sat up on his bed, “What’s happening, what made that noise?” he asked rubbing his eyes.

Henry was still numb, his hands trembled slowly.

“What’s wrong with you?” McKay asked after he had shut the window, he could feel the tension which enveloped his roommate.

“There… There…There was a…a man standing… there” he finally replied, pointing a wobbly finger a distance away from where McKay stood. He tried explaining what had just happened but no one was going to listen.

“Come on, get some sleep,” McKay said dismissing the issue. Chris gave a tired yawn, “we’d talk about this in the morning.”

The lights went out and so everyone returned to their sleep, everyone except Henry- he couldn’t possibly sleep with the thought of what had just happened. Was he being haunted, why did it seem like he was the only one seeing things or was it just his imaginations and excessive Hollywood flicks.
Morning finally dawned, the day looked totally usual-the sun was up in the sky, the cloud hadn’t fallen, there was the usual noise that came from the other hostel mates as they made their way to the bathroom, the audible heavy metal music from the next room which was some sort of reminder that it was Friday, everything looked normal and then Chris who was still asleep spun over on his bed with his chest, facing the ceiling.

Henry got out of the snuggled position he had been for the past 4 hours, he got off his bunk and made his way to Chris’ bed.

“Chris! Chris!!” Henry called out while yanking his friend. He was sweating profusely; his body temperature had gone up a notch, his head swung from side to side almost uncontrollably as his eyes tightened as if trying not to behold something sinister, his hands clutched firmly to the bedspread. He jerked up seconds later with a terrified look gasping rapidly.

“It’s alright man,” Henry too couldn’t decipher what was happening; fear had also gotten a grip of him. Chris’ breathing slowly returned to normal a few moments later although he still remained numb.

“You should have seen his eyes,” he finally spoke almost inaudibly in an obviously horrified tone, “Scary as hell. He was going to bury me- alive.” Henry’s eye gleamed, His eyes? The event of the previous night came to him.

“Lanky guy?” he asked in an even manner. Chris looked at him with surprise, “lar…large eyes, shaved head?”

“Yeah, how’d you know?” Henry didn’t give a reply, he couldn’t possibly give a reply, it’s something he had tried explaining earlier on but no one had listened.

The door flung open, McKay came through with his towel hanging loosely on his waist.

“What’s with you guys?” he asked not really paying attention to the mood in the room, “and yeah, just before I forget, Henry definitely needs to see a doctor,” he paused paying attention to his phone in his hands, “Dude’s been acting weird lately.”

“Oh, so you think it’s weird eh, how’d you explain Chris’ nightmare?” he said, standing from Chris’ bed, “think it’s just coincidence that we’re seeing the same thing in one night? I totally am not comfortable with this man, this could spell something terrible.”

He described the whole scene of last night-again- and Chris told his own part of the story but still, McKay still wasn’t falling for it.

“Now both of you definitely got to see a doctor, ASAP,” McKay burst out laughing at how odd the story sounded, “So y’all have been seeing what, ghosts?” he laughed again, “Come on, get set for school.”

Henry grimaced at McKay. The fact that McKay didn’t believe their story vexed him more, if only there was a way to make him believe that it was no make-up story, that it was real. They got set for lectures and left minutes later. The day sure had a lot in store for them.

Chris didn’t look like it all day; he had lost all liveliness which was unlike him. The thought of seeing ghosts freaked him out even more. There’s no way I’m sleeping in that room tonight, he thought to himself, his whole being drenched in fear as he made up his mind about the situation. Deep within, he knew it was no normal nightmare, there had to be something more-something worse, something evil.

Lectures ended and they made their way to the library, they had to get answers to some assignment- but they ended up getting more answers than they bargained for. It was almost 6 p.m., they had spent virtually the whole evening at the library- was it sheer determination that made them stay that long or was it fear?

=||=||=

Please don't forget to add to your Library if you haven't. I'd love to hear your feedback and hey...remember to Vote if you liked this part.