𝐇𝐨𝐰 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐆𝐞𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐆𝐢𝐫𝐥

Start from the beginning

"You must have been raised a mad man, Laurie Laurence" Y/N stepped out of her home and closed the door behind her for there was no letting him in with her mother behind them.

"I had to have come to see you otherwise what would my return have been?" Laurie grinned at the young lady before him. Y/N embraced him with a fondness whilst there was no one else to be seen.

"Oh, it's been so long, Laurie" Y/N felt as if weeping as she had done in his absence for the first two weeks he was gone and then their exchange in letters was enough to get her through the weeks until he would return home, "I do not know how I had not lost my mind without you here".

"Tell me everything" Laurie pleaded.

"I cannot right now my dear boy, my mother is in the house and she has never been so approving of me associating with boys, even as a fine, young, gentleman such as you are" Y/N fussed.

"Well come over to my house then where we will have the rest of the afternoon to ourselves" He spoke and with that, Laurie hurried Y/N back into her home to grab her coat, going red in the face and having to cover his mouth with his hand as he admired Y/N's wrongful ability to sneak around her mother so well.

They walked arm in and arm over the first half of the field and caught up with one another with discussion of Laurie's adventures in France and how he had sworn life was not quite as joyful without the little women and Y/N by his side and Y/N told Laurie of all the wonderful designs that had sprung upon her for her menswear clothing line that someday she hoped to sew together. She promised that when her first and most important, statement piece was complete, that Laurie would be the first to have it.

When they were on the other side of the hill, close to the March house, they ran behind the tree and stayed there for a while giggling amongst themselves and keeping watch that none of the girls were about and then they chased each other to the Laurence House.

The house was as it always had been even before Laurie had left and in her usual manner, when they entered into the main lounge room with all of Amy's favourite paintings, Y/N fell into her corner of the sofa in the centre of the room with a deflated sigh of relief and the back of her hand on her forehead.

"I don't think I ever want you to go without me again, Laurie" Y/N grumbled.

"I am sorry, I was too afraid to ask. I did not think you would want to come with me".

"Nonesense, we hardly ever stop taking about it, don't we?".

"I apologise but I'm sure that I can put back together your heart with my gift".

Y/N jumped to her feet from the sofa as Laurie held a book in his hands, she had already started to scold Laurie for his thoughtfulness and chivalry; she had asked him to bring back something small but something he didn't have to buy with his money.

The book in his hands was plentiful of sketches of which Amy March had drawn of her two close friends and taped onto seperate pages in between, were tokens from different days they had spent together.

"Is this by your hand?" Y/N asked.

"The book, I had to buy but the sketches are those that Amy promised me in return for a few car rides and the tokens are what I have kept" Laurie blushed. He pointed to a wilted lavender flower from when they had spent the afternoon picking at the flowers that grew along the bank of the river. On the page besides that token was a sketch Amy had drawn in a rapid urge to capture the moment from Y/N's birthday when she had kindly given Laurie her fourth kiss on his cheek. The first time she had kissed Laurie had been her first time kissing anyone besides her mother and the girls and from then she gave them rarely to him only in spurs or when it was only them.

Laurie pointed to the next page Y/N flipped onto, a letter he stuck in from Y/N. She recognised it to be the first one she had sent, a rather angry one demanding an explanation for where he had vanished too and why he had abandoned her without any inclatation to tell her before. There was a blank page on the next page where Laurie had written in his straggerly writing, 'for my explanation'.

"Oh, I'll have to make sure to go and get it for you tomorrow, it'll be so sweet. Thank you, my dear boy" Y/N beamed from cheek to cheek and embraced him, pulling him close to her chest.

"It is yours to keep" Laurie beamed from cheek to cheek himself and let Y/N keep the book close on her.

"And I shall cherish it for the rest of my time here on this Earth" Then as she always did, no matter the many times she had seen the lounge room that they stood in, she wandered around it, inspecting every wall with curiosity.

Out of the fallen silence then, "Y/N, I want you to marry me. Say you will and if you haven't the answer now, I will wait for ever and ever until you do." Laurie spoke.

"I beg your pardon?" Y/N asked, flabbergasted but with a grin.

"I want to be man and wife with you, for worse or for better" He poured out his heart's yearnings.

"Is this how you will get the girl you claim to love so much?" She asked.

"Say you will marry me, Y/N, I want you too cherish and too love if you will allow me too. Just say you will marry me and if not now, soon." Laurie had spoken.

"We are still so young. I don't think either you or I know what we want".

"That's how we work Y/N! Please...marry me".

Y/N turned towards him with water brimming behind her eyes but she did not cry for this was such a time that she only ever wanted to happen once, she would not spoil it with silly tears.

"Well, Laurie Laurence, I suppose I have no other choice to and I simply do love you" Y/N ran to him - with the book tucked behind her crossed arms - and when she stopped in front of Laurie, he braced his arms around her and she was pulled up against him. Her feet off the ground.

"I ask nothing else of you other than you kiss me, please" Laurie pleaded then felt the soft kiss of his wife's lips against his own, if he could he would have her lips on his the whole of the day but that would not be appropriate in many situations.