Chapter 1: The Introduction

Backstory:

Tayla moved to the Outer Banks about 6 months ago, both her mom and dad were CEOs of major businesses, giving them a beautiful house right in the middle of Figure Eight. She was quite lonely at first, being the new girl was hard until she met Sarah Cameron.

Sarah was everything Tayla needed in a friend, she was supportive, positive, hilarious, and told her like it was when she needed it. They quickly became inseparable, Tayla became so close she gained a permanent place in one of their guest rooms. She stayed there often as she didn't like being alone when her parents were always out of town for "work-related business".

The Camerons were the typical family that Tayla never got. Ward and Rose treated her as if she was blood to them and Wheezie looked up to her so much. The only problem with staying at the Camerons' was Rafe.

Sarah's older brother, Rafe, was an impulsive drug addict that had so much pent-up aggression. Tayla had no idea where all this came from but based on what Sarah told her, she did not want to find out.

Present

"Sarah, what the hell!" Tayla screamed as she was now sopping wet from being pushed into the pool. She climbs out and chases after the giggling blonde girl into the house.

"Girls! No running in the house!" Rose scolds, shaking her head as she watches them run through the kitchen. 

Sarah yells "I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry, I take it back, I didn't mean ittttttt".

Tayla catches up to her and tackles her to the ground "You are not going to get away with that by just saying sorry". Sarah looks at her with wide eyes as they both hear footsteps coming down the stairs.

"What are you guys doing?" Rafe asks in a disgusted tone, looking down at Tayla on top of his sister, the two both wet from the pool. Tayla quickly gets up and puts her hand out to help Sarah up.

Sarah takes her hand, standing back up she responds "None of your business, Rafe". 

He rolls his eyes and walks off to the kitchen. As soon as he's far enough, Tayla speaks up softly "That was harsh".

Ward comes down the stairs before Sarah could even open her mouth to respond while he fixes the cufflinks on his shirt "You girls behave while Rose and I go out tonight, okay?".

"You guys are going out?" Sarah asks as she looks over at Rose now walking towards them. Ward nods his head with a smile as he grabs his jacket.

Rose helps him put the jacket on as she says "I made some lasagna for you kids to eat for dinner". 

Tayla smiles "Thank you, you didn't have to do that" as she hugs them both goodbye after Sarah does.

"Of course I did, you kids have to eat somehow right?" Rose says and everyone lightly laughs. 

Before the close the door, Ward peeks his head in and says with an almost begging tone "Please take care of Wheezie while we're gone, she's in her room right now doing schoolwork". Sarah nods and puts a thumbs up as he shuts the door and both girls hear the car engine start outside.

A couple of minutes later, Wheezie, Tayla, and Sarah get cleaned up and go to the kitchen for the freshly cooked lasagna. They find Rafe sitting at the table with his plate of food in front of him, on a call with someone, most likely Topper or Kelce.

As the girls dish up and sit down at the table, Rafe ends the call and says "You guys better eat fast 'cause I got my friends coming over". 

Sarah scoffs as she stabs a piece of her lasagna "You can't dictate what we do or where we go".

Rafe rolls his eyes as Wheezie pipes up "Do Rose and Dad know about this?". 

He completely ignores their words, picking up his plate as he stands "I've got business to take care of, alright?".

He goes with the rest of his meal up to his room, leaving the three girls thinking to themselves at the table. Wheezie turns to Sarah "What business?".