Chapter 4 : Smile please!

"See how good Aryan is at studies?
you should do as good as him Zainab!" exclaimed my father in our third meeting.We were at their (Aka Aryan's) house for dinner.
It was our third meeting.We still hadn't spoken.I didn't even bother talking to just another guy.I hated Guy's. Throughout my whole life, I've recieved more than 15 proposals but I always refused.I never believed in love at this age.It's not that I didn't like it.I did.I loved the attention I got from the boys in our class.Though I never Said anything like that to anyone.The only guys I spoke to was either my father or Preet.
Preet was my neighbour and also my best friend since childhood.He was the only guy that could handle me, my craziness.He knew me inside and out.He knew how to cheer me up.He knew everything about me.Despite him being a guy, and also him being my best friend, all the guys in school would get jealous. They hated that me and Preet were best friends.I hated how all the guys never talked to him because they were jealous.But After a few years, I did want someone to be jealous of Preet.

"What was your score in your last math test, Zainab?" asked aunty.
I hesitated and finally said, 'I scored an 11 out of 15' feeling very embarassed."That's not a bad score Zainab!" said aunty, but I'd rather she didn't. It made me feel like a loser infront of the whole family.She then asked "what about your grades in English? How're you doing in that?"
"Oh I always score full marks in english, aunty" I said with a smile.
"Well that's good" she said while smiling back.
That made me wonder.I felt as if she was happier when I told her that I got less marks.That made me frown.A bit.
"Hey, You can't make everyone happy.Unless you're a plate of biryani though.Then you can.But that doesn't work for me.My favourite food is pasta." He said with a smile. "It's Aryan".
"Zainab" I smiled back.

That was the first time we spoke.Our first conversation, that too about biryani.'Wow'.I thought to myself."I wonder if he still likes Pasta though" I said to myself in a soft voice."
I felt as if my cheek bones had widened."Here I go again" I told myself.Because thinking of him, made me smile unknowingly.