ELEVEN

CHAPTER ELEVEN
our new normal.

HALLOWEEN MORNING IN HACKENSACK! The small town was known for its gruesome events, Halloween was practically an everyday holiday for the people.

Ruby glanced out of the window as they drove pasted the overly decorated homes, occasionally her eyes would catch Juniors side profile as she between him and Jake.

The car ride was relatively silent for the most part, until Jake began to shuffle around in the backseat, looking oddly confused.

"You okay back there, buddy?" Logan asked, glancing at him through the mirror.

"Yea it's just-my seats hot." He smiled awkwardly.

The man laughed, "oh, Jake, I'm sorry. You can turn that down. There's a switch over there on the right."

Jake flicked the small switch, immediately feeling the warm ness being drained out of the comfortable seat.

"You know, long periods of exposure can cause second-degree burns. It's called Toasted Skin Syndrome." Junior blurted, smirking as he looked at his cousin.

"That's ridiculous." Bree scoffed from the front seat at her sons comment.

Junior shrugged, glancing out the window, "look it up, it happens."

"Not in a Lexus. It doesn't." She turned over her shoulder to look at the two boys, "Jake don't pay any attention to him, sweetheart."

"Remind me, what's your protein intake this week?" Logan asked.

"Uh, 50 grams a day?"Junior sounded hesitate with his answer, almost scared to hear his father's response.

Logan clicked his tongue, "Oof, you should bump that up to 75."

"But Dad, state's not till the 15th." Junior added, "plus, I'm not a sprinter, and I only weighed 105 this morning."

"We don't want you getting injured a week before the most important race of your life." He smiled, "just have a Cliff Bar before lunch, okay?"

Ruby fiddled with her hands as she stared at the chipped black nail polish, her head lifting as they passed the bright yellow school buses.

Logan pulled up to the front of the school, a knot immediately forming in the girls stomach.

"Have a good day at school, Junior." Bree watched her son exit the car, staying silent as he only shut the door and began walking up to the school entry.

Logan narrowed his eyes at the curly headed boy, "still with the nightmares? You can a week if you need it."

"No, I actually think, at this point, that it's better that I get out of the house." Jake politely declined his uncles offer.

"Jake, aren't you comfortable with us? You can be honest." Bree cocked a brow as she asked.

He immediately choked up, "no. I mean, I am
comfortable. Anyway, you guys have been really great. I appreciate it. I should go."

Ruby followed out behind him, shutting the door gently as she adjusted her back pack straps.

"Hey, Jake, Ruby?" Logan called out as he rolled down the window, the two teens slowly backing up towards the passenger side, "for lunch."

They both look surprised, side-glancing at each other before reaching for the money being held out for them.

"Thanks, Logan." Ruby chuckled, flashing the man a small smile.