19 | Unfortunately misplace love

by:

first impression

I actually started reading this earlier but got busy so I kept rereading the first paragraph. Anyway, let's get on with the review.

plot

It looks very promising. My only problem in this is that I can't really discern what genre you're going for. I was getting this fantasy medieval feel with the way the first chapter was written and as the story progressed it gave me a more modern murder mystery type of feel.

I feel like murder mystery sounds pretty cool.

Other than that, I think the plot is good and, as I will discuss in pacing, has the ability to hook in readers.

pacing

Your pacing in this story is near perfect, the scenes are well thought out and the build up to the mystery was paced really good. Because of this it actually was quite easy to continue reading the book. So, that's great! 

I don't really have any issues with pacing, I think you nailed it!

characters
I do suggest giving them more description but the dialogue for them was actually fitting for their characters. 

I think Jackson's is very interesting, seeing how he is very flawed but portrayed in an empathizing way was kinda cool. 

Lucy got on my nerves a bit, haha, but the good thing I can also see where she's coming from. The tiring boring life she's having makes her attitude towards it very understandable. 

You made these characters have a real struggle and I really like that. Other than those points, I once again have nothing more to add. 

dialogue

Frank's dialogue felt very forced to inform readers

Frank's dialogue felt very forced to inform readers. My suggestion is to remove the health inspector part  in his dialogue because context clues and the subject in their conversation would lead for the reader to know that Keith is the health inspector. 

Other than that nitpick, your dialogue gave a lot of personality and depth to the characters and their lines fit well to the story and doesn't feel out of place. 

descriptions

I think the middle paragraph can be split to two parts

I think the middle paragraph can be split to two parts. You can cut it around the lines most others.

But in general your descriptions were concise and straight forward, I think it could use a little bit of editing but other than that I think you also go this part down to a t. 

Is it compelling?

Answer is Yes.and yes, I admit it might not be for all but it is compelling. The plot seems interesting and the characters are very fleshed out. 

overall

I am actually surprised to have made a very short review that doesn't really have any nitpicks. I think your story is really good. What really impressed me is the pacing of the book, because I didn't even realize I was supposed to be reviewing. All I was thinking is what will happen to Jackson, Lucy, and their relationship. 

Which is exactly what a book should achieve, reeling in the readers, make them get invested in the story. 

So overall, your book is amazing and well written. You did great, author!

Anyway, I apologize for the short review and I hoped it was able to help in some way and didn't come off as rude. That is all, Have a good day/night, keep on writing, and farewell!