12 |the promotion

By:

first impression
Writing wise, you're good. You can write down the scenes with ease but I think on most books like these there's something lacking and it's in the pacing of the story.

pacing
The thing is, the pace is good but a tad too fast.

I feel like chapter per chapter we're just jumping from one scene to the other. Cutting to scenese where it's exciting.

This is alright since most of the time we like to read quickly but it also rids the chance to grow attached to the characters.

In books, Chapter one always establishes the life of the character. So maybe when she arrives have Louisa interact more with her co workers other than Sarah.

Have them joke around. Show her work life and her work personality. A webtoon author I look up to, Donggeon lee (i think thats how its spelled) writes office life very well.

You can read Yumi's cells or daily jojo to get a glimpse of that work life and interactions.

Or other books that have work life as a trope.

I'm saying this because Louisa is a work driven character. Her life revolves around doing her job and doing it well.

It's only natural for someone passionate about something to remember those moments most of the time.

It's like the hobbits narration in
LOTR, describing food almost in detail bcs hobbits are food lovers.

Have more dialogue and interaction that shows the life at home. The parts where they aren't fighting and simply silent.

have them act like a couple, laundry stuff, food stuff. Maybe Louisa checks the fridge and asked Calum if he did the groceries. It could hint to his dependence on her.

characters
As I've said in the pacing, it was a tad too fast in the first chaps that they arent established yet.

I want to see Louisa as a passionate office worker. What is Sarah like? A lazy worker? a life of the party kind?

Who are the other co workers?

How do they converse? what do they talk about other than work? do they gossip? or talk about news and plans.

but you're characters are grounded, by that I mean you can distinguish them. on a degree. Sarah hasn't been much of an interesting best friend character yet

Calum has been painted lazy by Louisa's words but you could show that by Louisa complaining he didnt atleast do house chores or do the fixing in the apartment.

Or she comes home to him sleeping with mess around him .

Without saying the word lazy theae scenes convey that word for her.

plot
I think it's good for a romance book. The genre has many tropes and many books. It's hard to be different.

and that's atlright. Most times readers love reading the same tropes but with tiny twists and different characters.

it's like trying something you already like and spicing it up a little.

descriptions
you're good on this part. Although maybe describe how pretty
the buildings are to justify Louisa's words that she finds the building breathtaking evrytime

dialogue
As I've mentioned in characters and pacing.

Writing more dialogue and character interaction wouldn't hurt and can broaden the world more. Have more characters to enjoy and look forward to seeing in the story.

Is it compelling?
On a romance genre level, I can't really discern cuz i dont read a lot of romance.

but I think it's interesting enough to hook readers and i love how the interactions are mostly wholesome.

very calming tbh

overall
It's a good book that can use some tweaks but dont all books do? I think for romance genre enjoyers this is a good read.

My last suggestion is to sprinkled life lessons if you can. Could make it memorable i guess.

Keep in mind I couldn't read up to 10 chapters and stopped at 5 where Louisa and mystery guy interacted.

Anyway, that is all for this review. I hope I didnt come off as rude and was helpful in some way. That is all have a good day /night, farewell!