Chapter 26: Epilogue (1)

"This is it!" Michael Fort, my roommate and former drummer for MCT, exclaims as I enter the living room of my apartment wearing a white dress shirt with a navy blue necktie tucked into a pair of navy blue trousers and a pair of black converse.

"I can't believe we're actually graduating after six years of medical school." I say and take a seat on the couch adjacent to the couch he is in. "Are you done packing?"

"Yes." Michael says. "I can't believe we are actually graduating in less than two hours."

"Me too." I say. "I am going to miss this place. We made a lot of memories here."

"Yes." He says. "It was in..." He trails off as there's a knock heard on the door. "I'll check who's there." He says and walks towards the door.

Michael opens it and says, "Hey, babe."

"Hey." My younger sister, Becca, says. "I see that you two are ready to be officially made doctors."

"Yes." I say as I get up and hug my sister.

"Have you two eaten?" Becca asks.

"No." Michael and I say with smiles on our faces as we follow Becca into the kitchen and take a seat at the counter.

"Well, I made French toast." Becca says.

"Nice." Michael says with a wide grin.

"Hey, James, is Olivia coming today?" Becca asks as we start eating.

"I don't know." I take a bite of the bread. "The last time I heard from her was at your graduation's three days ago. She said her flight was scheduled for yesterday but she hasn't called me to tell me anything."

"Have you called her?" Michael asks.

"No." I say.

Becca sighs and says, "How do you expect to know where your girlfriend is if you haven't called her?"

I look at Michael and then at Becca and say, "I'll do that now."

"Yes, do it." Becca says as I leave the kitchen.

"Bonjour, Olivia." I say when Olivia answers the call.

"Bonjour, James." She says.

"How are you?" I ask.

"I'm not so good." She says.

"Why?" I ask.

"Well, my flight was delayed so I don't think I'll make it there in time for your graduation but I am still coming."

"Okay. I look forward to seeing you." I say.

"Me too." Olivia says. "No matter what time I arrive, we have to go out and celebrate."

"Okay then, have a safe flight. I love you." I say.

"I love you too. Bye." Olivia says and ends the call.

Olivia and I started dating in my sophomore year of college after my trip to France for one of her dance shows.

After the high school graduation, Emily left for London to study but ever since she left right after the graduation process, I have barely been able to contact her. I always pictured the two of us being at each other's graduations but I guess I was wrong.

I enter the lounge and find Becca with her head on Michael's laps.

"Can you two tell me how you started dating?" I ask.

"When our children ask and we decide to tell them, I'll make sure you're there to hear the story." Michael says.

"Children?" I ask and sit on the couch adjacent to theirs. "Okay."

"Anyways, what did Olivia say?" Becca asks.

"She said she might not make it in time for the graduation. Her flight has been delayed." I say.

"Oh." Becca sits up. "I'm sure it will be resolved soon.

"Are you guys ready to go?" Michael asks. "The program starts in thirty minutes.

"Yes." I say.

©unboundbybounds

I feel my phone buzz in the pocket of my trousers as I am surrounded by my family and Michael's family after the graduation process is over. I pull the phone out of my pocket and see Olivia's name on the screen.

I move to stand a few feet away from the group as I answer the call.

"Congratulations, Dr. James Ford." Olivia says when I bring the phone to my ear. "I can boldly say that I am not afraid to break any bone in my body because my boyfriend is now an orthopedic surgeon."

"Thank you but as much as I like being an orthopedic surgeon, I don't want to see you in pain so please, don't go about breaking your bones." I say.

"That's so sweet." She says. "I'm glad to see you still have the bracelet I made for you on. It looks good on you."

"Wait, how do you know I'm wearing that bracelet?" I ask.

"I don't." She says. "I just assumed you would be wearing it."

"Okay. So..." I trail off when Olivia asks, "Today is the day you graduate and you decided to wear converse? Why?"

"They're more comfortable." I say. "Wait, how do you know? Where are you?" I ask as I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around and see Olivia standing there with a big smile on her face and her phone at her ear. "Let me call you back." She says and ends the call as I pull her into a hug, lifting her off the ground and twirling her around.

"How?" I ask. "I thought..."

"I thought same but when I told my flight was delayed, I meant my arrival. There was a search that had to be conducted before we alighted and it was taking a lot of time so I didn't really think I would make it in time." Olivia says.

"I'm so happy you came." I say.

"I'm happy I came. Luckily I arrived just in time to hear your speech, Mr. Valedictorian." She says with a smile.

"Let's go and meet everyone." I say and take her hand in mine, interlocking our fingers.

Author's Note.

Hi. Please don't forget to vote.