Chapter 4- Maleficar

"You're lying." Solona accused, unwilling to believe that someone like Jowan could be capable of something as evil as blood magic.

Cullen blinked. He had expected her to believe him without question, as she usually did.

"N-no....I mean, no one knows, but...." Cullen argued, unable to shake the feeling that something was really, really wrong here.

Solona's eyes narrowed, and her anger shot up suddenly.

"What makes you so sure? You don't even know him, Cullen!" She snapped.

"You're not always right! In fact, more often than not, you're wrong! Maybe you wouldn't be if you swallowed your bloody pride and listened to someone for a change!" Cullen bit back, and Solona flinched and stepped back as if he had physically struck her.

   Her mouth opened, closed, then opened again, until she settled it into a tight frown.

She glared tearily at him, and he felt regret in no small measure.

"Solona...I-I....I'm sorry, I...." He tried, but he couldn't find the words. He rubbed him temple and closed him eyes. When he opened them again, Solona was gone.

~~*****~~

"Jowan? Were...were you following me?" Neria asked him, perturbed.

"Does it really matter? I need to...talk to about something." He lowered his voice, speaking in a whisper. Neria raised her eyebrows.

"Why...are you speaking so quiet? It looks very suspicious...." Neria told him, and he looked around frantically, looking for people who might overhear.

"Look, we need to talk- but not here. Follow me, please." He pleaded, and she nodded.

"Alright, Jowan. I'll come if you tell me what this is about." She told him, and she followed him into the chantry of the tower. He led her over to a women- a priest, it appeared.

"Alright, we should be safe here." Jowan told her, and she looked between him and the priest.

"Jowan...wha- what's going on?" Neria asked carefully, growing a new level of unease.

"Um...last month, I told Solona I...met a girl. She didn't tell you? This...this is Lily." He informed her.

Neria felt the world shift, and not in a good way. Her entire world seemed to crash around her, and she felt horribly dizzy and sick to her stomach.

         "Neria? Are you...are you feeling okay? You look quite..pale." Lily asked, and Neria wanted to tear her apart.

Her expression must have revealed her thoughts, because Lily stepped a couple steps away, startled.

"Neria, what's wrong? Please, snap out of it! There is more that I need to tell you about- we're running out of time!" Jowan exclaimed anxiously, growing irritated.

"Jowan. I-I....I...." Neria stuttered, and she felt her eyes burn. Jowan eyes widened in shock, and Lily realized what was going on.

    "Jowan, may I speak to you?" Lily asked him, and pulled him gently to the side.

    "Lily, what is it?" He asked, irritated that it was taking this long simply to explain his predicament. Lily narrowed her eyes.

     "How can you be so blind? It is obvious that she...is jealous. Of me. Which leads me to believe that she....cares about you." She explained to him, and his face paled.

     "Did...did you never feel the same? I mean...you're always talking about her..." Lily mumbled.

    "What? That's...that's not...She's like a sister to me! I never...." Jowan exclaimed, burying his face in his hands.