"Oh come on seriously Zoe?" scoffed Pin. "Olivia was just trying to do you a favour."

"Well she didn't," Zoe said dryly. "Next time, don't meddle in things that don't regard you," she told Olivia. Olivia looked up at her, her vision blurring slightly.

"Fine," she said, her voice wobbling. "Happy birthday anyways," she said, shoving the gift bag into Zoe's arms and storming back out of the tent.

"Oliva? What happened?" she heard Emma's voice behind her.

"I'm fine, I just need to be alone right now," Olivia sniffled.

"Alright, call me if you need anything," Emma said, hugging her quickly.

"Thank you," Olivia said earnestly before turning back around and heading for the beach. It was quiet outside, save for the rustle of the leaves in the cold wind, making her wish she'd brought a jacket. She considered turning around and simply heading back home, but she really wanted to be alone. Gradually, the sound of waves crashing grew louder and nearer, and before she knew it, Olivia was on the beach. She took off her boots, feeling the sand beneath her skin. She approached the water, letting the waves wash over her feet. She closed her eyes and breathed in deeply, feeling the cold air on her face. Gently, she brought her hand up to wipe her tears. Even with her eyes closed, she felt it when Pin arrived next to her. He stood there silently, and Olivia debated what to do. Should she leave? Should she just stay there and pretend she hadn't noticed him there? Maybe she should talk to him, but she wouldn't know what to say if she did.

"Are you cold?" she heard him say quietly.

"No," she simply replied calmly. They both kept quiet for a bit longer, before Olivia spoke up. "Why didn't you go to the academy?" she asked.

"Didn't want to," Pin replied after a moment.

"Why not?" inquired Olivia.

"Couldn't leave the island, I would miss it too much, the people here too," he said. Olivia nodded gently, humming absentmindedly. "I'm sorry for telling Zoe that Marcus gave us in. I was just so mad at him and... I'm sorry."

"It's okay. Not your fault I make bad decisions," Olivia said.

"You were just looking out for her," Pin said. "It's not your fault Zoe takes everything personally." Olivia only hummed in response. "Look, about yesterday, you were right, I had no place to get mad at you like that." Olivia's eyes finally fluttered open. "I just feel like I'm losing you."

"You could never lose me Pin," she simply said. Damned what Emma said, even if he didn't reciprocate her feelings, Pin was her closest friend, and she wouldn't leave him even if it meant living with that. She turned her head slightly towards him, finding him studying her intently. "Well, I have to get back to Bright Fields," she said after a moment.

"I'll walk you," offered Pin.

"Thanks," softly smiled Olivia. As they walked together in silence, Olivia's thoughts drifted off to the boy beside her. If you'd told her at the beginning of the summer that she'd become this close to Pin Hawthorne, she never would've believed it. She remembered barely being able to utter a sentence in his presence only a year ago, and now she was calling him her best friend. And they'd kissed once. She didn't really like recalling that memory. Not because it was a bad one, but because of the thoughts that followed. The thoughts that reminded her that Pin had regretted it.

"What are you thinking about?" asked Pin, striking Olivia with an eerie sense of deja vu. You, she wanted to say. And she did.

"You," she said shortly. She had practically confessed her love the other day. If he didn't know she liked him yet, he was truly oblivious.

"What about me?" his breath hitched almost imperceptibly.

"Just about how close we've grown this summer," she said nonchalantly. "We weren't very close friends before."

"Right," he said. He muttered something else Olivia didn't catch. They reached Bright Fields, and Olivia bid Pin goodbye before walking into the mostly empty stables. Almost everyone was at Zoe's birthday, which is why Olivia was surprised to bump into Mia.

"There you are!" she exclaimed. "I was going to tell you at Zoe's party but well, you left rather abruptly. Anyways, the girls and I talked this morning, and we decided to keep you on the team," Mia said.

"Oh, that's awesome, yeah, thanks, I appreciate it," Olivia said, smiling brightly.

"Right, well, tomorrow is friendlies, do you think you'll be ready then?" Mia asked.

"For sure, no problem," Olivia said.

"Alright, see you tomorrow," Mia said. Olivia took out her phone and called her aunt to tell her she would be getting home later than usual. She made her way to the tack room, taking out the spare riding clothes she always kept there and changing into them. She brought Nina out to the training paddock, practicing a new routine as the sun set behind her.