11

Mateo Haynes

       "So what do you say?" I ask Raymond who sat across from me looking astonished.

I am supposed to leave for L.A with my sons for Ciara and Gio's wedding, but I couldn't leave without carrying out my promise to Anika. It was the least I could do with everything that's already been done. I also need to leave soon to pick up Dontaé before his crazy mother decides to change her mind about him coming with me to meet the family.

I'm hoping even though this is short notice that Raymond will not refuse the offer and that I will be able to find a permanent manager to replace him soon if he does accept the offer.

"Sir that's a great offer, but I have everything in Spain."

I raise a brow at him. "And Anika is here."

He nod. "Yes, but—I will have to talk to my mother about this."

I resist the urge to roll my eyes since he was looking right at me. I told Anika this man is a Mama's boy. If it was any other man they wouldn't even consider it, if it means being with the woman they love. For Anika's sake I hope he chooses wisely.

"You have until I get back to tell me your decision," I inform him as I start to pack away the things on my desk.

"Thank you sir," Raymond says standing from his seat. "Until I decide can you please keep this between us?"

I pause what I was doing to look at him. "You mean you don't want the woman you're dating to know that I offered you a job here?"

"I prefer to keep this between us until I've made my decision."

I didn't agree with him keeping this from Anika even though she was more aware of what is going on than Raymond was. Why does he want to keep secrets from her?

I hesitate, but nod. "It's not my place to say anything about it."

"Thank you Sir,I appreciate it."

Anika Vargas

             Surprisedly dad and Raymond are getting along great. I stood by the window watching the men in the backyard. They sat out there drinking beer and occasionally checking on the food they were preparing on the grill.

Even Yussef seems to be getting along with him as he laughs at something Raymond said before patting his back. Well they did hit it off initially when Ray recognized that my brother-in-law was the meteorologist on the weather channel.

"He seems nice."

I glance at Akira who has snuck up behind me. She had left to put Rashid to bed in her old room.

"He is," I say moving away from the window to meet mom and Alana inorder to help them carry the food outside where we will be dining.

"He's easy on the eyes as well." I hear Akira says as she follows behind me. "He seems good for you Anika, I hope you two last."

"Thanks Kira," I say over my shoulder. I wasn't interested in having this conversation. I was more concerned about what dad might be saying to Ray.

As soon as I enter the kitchen Mom starts as well, sounding very much like her elder daughter.

"I like Raymond honey, he's a sweetheart and it's great that he gets along with his mother."

I couldn't stop the smile from forming on my face as I saw Alana roll her eyes at the mention of Ray's mom. It reminded me of the conversation I had with Mateo when he called Ray a momma's boy. I honestly think it's cute, it also determine how a man will treat the other women in his life.

            "So what are your intentions for my daughter?" Dad ask as we sat around the table munching on the delicious meal. I knew these questions weren't far away.

Ray swallow the food he had been chewing and look at all of us who was waiting for his answer.

Before he had a chance to speak dad cut in. "I know she promised to take over the family business, but it would be great if she was to move to Spain with you. That way she could learn more about that part of her culture."

My eyes widen.

"Honey It's not your place to suggest such a thing. You don't know our daughter's plans for her life. She can't just get up and go to a foreign country just because of a man."

"Thank you mom." I mouth and she nods.

"No offense Raymond, you seem like a lovely young man," mom apologize.

"It's fine Mrs. Vargas, I understand what you're saying."

Mom gives him a small smile.

"I do prefer him over that bastard she was m—ouch!"

My eyes widen as my heart rate increase. If it wasn't for Alana then dad would have spilled the tea.

"What the hell is wrong with you child?" Dad ask glaring at Alana while everyone else stares at her confused.

"Sorry dad I felt something bite my ankle," Alana says a bit nonchalant as she focus on stuffing her face with tacos.

I noticed Akira eying us but I ignored her.

"What were you saying, dad?" I roll my eyes a Yussef.

"Drop it love, you know how dad hates Anika ex," Akira says before brushing her fingers through her husband dirt blonde hair.

The blue eyes man glance at me before looking at Raymond who shared the same confused look as dad.

I don't understand why he always have to bring up Mateo and compare him to every other men he knows.

"So tell me more about yourself Raymond. What is it you do?"

I glance at Mom. "He's a hotel manager mom, now can we please change the subject?"

"Let the man talk for himself Princessa," Dad scolds. "What's the name of the hotel son?"

I raise a brow at the word he used to acknowledge Raymond.

"Montego Hotels Sir. Owned by Mateo Haynes."