In all fairness, though, this particular mission had been his idea. So, there wasn't much use in complaining. 

The phone began buzzing again, and he expected it to be another message from the League, but it turned out to be a call. Dabi looked at your doorway, trying to figure out whether you would be asleep now or not. 

"I told you to wait for my call." He spoke softly after answering. 

"Oh, right." The person on the phone said. "My fault, but you can't be too mad at me because I figured out a way to get access to those case files you've been looking for."

Dabi sat up. Luckily, this was a conversation that he didn't mind you overhearing. "How?"

"The higher-ups at the hero commission are coming to visit next week. I don't know how long they're planning on staying, but there's going to be a party held in their honor about two weeks after they get there. So, three weeks from now."

"How is a party going to give us access to police files?" He asked.

"I was getting there." The person cleared their throat. "The party is going to be filled with high-ranking officials and almost every employee of the commission is going to be there. There's gonna need to be a shit-ton of security. Almost every member of the police force is going to be guarding the place in case there's a villain attack, which will leave the files relatively unguarded. All you need to do is get in there, get what you need, and get out. Easy peasy."

He thought about that. Not a horrible plan. There were a good amount of things that could go wrong, but he had two weeks to prepare himself. "Do you know where the files are kept?"

"They're gonna be in a room inside of the main police headquarters where all of the sealed records are kept. I'll be able to send over a map of the place to you. But other than that, it's up to you to figure out how to get what you need."

"I can handle that."

A yawn came through the speaker. "Alright, and by the way, you owe me for this. The information wasn't easy to get."

"Sure it wasn't," Dabi responded dryly. "I'll call you whenever-"

A scream cut him off, the sound immediately causing him to sit up. His instinct took over and he was running to the bedroom, dropping the phone to the floor. 

Was someone hurting you? That had to be it, the echo of helplessness and fear ringing through the air was the same as he remembered from when he was a boy. From the nights when his father had come home and his mother had been the target of his anger.

His body was moved before his mind could process and logical thoughts. It was automatic, a habit he'd buried for so long ago that he'd believed it to have died with the rest of his old life. Dabi flung the bedroom door open, a ball of blue flame already growing in the palm of his hand, but there was no one there. No one besides the girl in her bed.

He extinguished the flame just as your eyes opened in surprise. You blinked a few times, looking around as the rise and fall of your chest began to slow back to a normal pace. Dabi stared, unsure of what had just happened. His mind had caught up with his body, but the two still failed to work in sync with one another.

"Why are you in my room?" You asked, the question pulling him from his stupor. 

"You screamed," he responded. "I thought something could have happened." Is that why he had come? Had it been out of worry for you, or because instinct had taken over?

"Oh," you looked away. "Just a nightmare."

Dabi leaned against the door, attempting to look like none of his composure had been lost. "Must have been a hell of a nightmare to have you so freaked out. It sounded like someone was hurting you." Like you were dying.